Hello from Chicago! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillyJonesJr

Assistant Cook
My name is Bill, I've worked in the restaurant industry for over 5 years.. I attended C.I.A, San Antonio and I'm glad to be apart of this community... Currently I am an I.T Professional but cooking is my hobby and I'm here to share ideas and make new cooking friends!

Welcome, Billy. You've found a great place. The ideas are great and so are the people. Have fun!

Welcome to DC! Next year when I head to Chicago, I'm going to ping you for foodie shops! I loved going to the Spice Shop and The Olde Oil store when I was there in April. And, I have to go to San Antonio for business at the end of January--was planning on heading down a few days in advance. You've just become my "go to" person for places to eat and foodie shopping in San Antonio (I'm assuming that was San Antonio, TX and not some other San Antonio). Looking forward to your contributions to the various discussions.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! CWS, I will be more than happy to recommend great restaurants in San Antonio, TX (you were right about that!) and Chicago. I'm new to Chicago so I don't know many places yet.. but it's an amazing culinary city for sure! :)

sooo many cultures and foods, it's hard to take in!

Billy--we will be staying at a hotel on the River Walk. But, I probably can't justify the $$ for that hotel when I'm on my own. Once we start working, we are on our own for dinner 2 nights, and on our own for lunch each day. Breakfast is provided. I plan on going down on Thursday, moving to the "conference" hotel on the Monday. So I have Thursday night - Monday to spend doing foodie stuff. I probably should go to the Alamo too. Although we're done at noon on the Friday, I'll be too exhausted from the long days to stay until Sunday--if Chicago was any indication. And that was just warm up!

I have a hard time buying authentic Mexican/Tex-Mex ingredients in SE Ontario--so I'd love to know where to go browsing for spices, etc. in San Antonio. I won't be able to bring fresh stuff back and I will have to plan my luggage in advance to bring my foodie stuff back.

Does the C.I.A. there offer weekend seminars/courses? That would be so cool.

Last edited:
Again, thank you for the warming welcomes, everyone.

CWS4322, I had typed out this long post on restaurants to try in San Antonio and then I got distracted by work and timed out, and when I tried to send my response it asked me to login again.. I was pretty frustrated!

Near the Riverwalk try to head out to the market, or "marcado", "marketia" (sp).. It's a farmers market in the city that all the locals vendors do.. It has a good block radius and the food is pretty good, but it's very touristy.. If you can head to the Loop West 410 area (near the airport) try out El Polio Regio or Casa Maria - very good Tex-Mex.. El Polio has this avocado recipe that I really enjoy!! If you're looking for some fast food goodies, make sure to try out Taco Cabana, I'm in Chicago and that's one place I really miss for a quick good meal.. And pick up some Rudy's barbecue too.. You won't regret it..

Enjoy Texas!! I sure do miss it...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom