"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Hello Chahira, I too am new here. When I seen you where from Egypt I thought I would ask your help. My daughter is engaged to a man from Egypt, who she met at college. I thought you might be able to help me with a few recipes to make him feel at home.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #12
Master Chef

Hi and welcome to the forum. Enjoy your visit here.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Thanks to all, today i will try a new experiment in my kitchen, i will try a new cocktail jam using banana + strawberry+orange+kiwi+apples.i will try also roses jam but this time i will use dried roses.next time inchallah (if the the results satisfy me) i will write the whole recipes.Thanks again to allthe people who love my country and respect its culture.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:46 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

fatta recipe

DEar missy thank u for taking care of one of our egyptian abroad , we have very great cuisine. it is tasty and all the foreigners adore our food , because we simply cook it with love, anyway i will tell u the fatta recipe we need half kilo of beef meat cut into cubes, boil 4 littres of water in a big pan put in the washed meat, let it boil and take off all the dirty foam that will appear put in a small onion as it is , cardamom,salt and pepper.let it boil till the meat become tender.prepare 2 cups of egyptian rice( short and white)put 1 tbps ghee or butter over the heat add the rice and stir it 3 minutes in the ghee then pour 2 cups of water to cover it salt it and cover the pan till it start boiling do not take off the cover to check it use ur ear to listen the sound of boiling . low the fire or remove the pan over the lowest fire u have , let it for half an hour then check it (u can take off the cover now )dry 4 pita or lebanese bread in the oven till become crunchy, break it in abig gratin plate and pour on it the garlic sauce , soak it till the bread absorb all the liquid ( galic sauce:ina small pan put 1 tbsp ghee stir in it 4 grounded garlic do not change its colour add 3 tbsp white vinegar and half cup of the prepared soup)add the rice over the bread then garnish with the meat cubes after frying it alittle in a small spoon of butter. serve and garnish with tomato sauce( in a small pan stir 2 ground garlic, add 1 teaspoon of vinegar and one cup and half of tomato puree, salt and pepper , let it boil till become thick. serve this Fatta plate with yogurt and cucumber salad. try and if u need more recipe ,u r welcomed anytime, goodbye
Old 04-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
Senior Cook

what a wonderful attitude and sounds like a great life-Welcome! I have no experience either eating or cooking Egyptian food so...I am ready to learn.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

it is really an honor to me , a chef is waiting to learn from me, i am really proud
Old 04-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #17
Master Chef

Hello and welcome to DC!
My wifes stepfather is from Egypt, not sure which city. He left in the 70's to go to Canada where he met my wifes mother and married her, then they moved here to the US. He is a Chemist and was following the jobs. I always joke we have an international family as I have German, French, and Native American on my side and she has Egyptian, Hungarian, and British on her side!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:49 PM   #18
Head Chef

Welcome from a old retired Chef from The Great Midwest. I have never experienced Egyptian cooking so looking forward to some of your countrys dishes
Old 04-11-2008, 12:38 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Thank you Chahira

Chahira, Thank you for the recipe, I'll let you know how it turned out as soon as I try it. Thank you again for your time.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:20 AM   #20
Cook

Hello everybody.

I am glad to be a part of this wonderful forum. I am a food lover, interested in cooking. Hope I gain good knowledge here.

jennyhill is offline   Reply With Quote