Hello from Emerald City

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcEmCity

Assistant Cook
Grew up cooking from about 10. Dad did most of the daily meals; mom the special occasions. Middle sister taught me to bake (starting with cookies, of course). Love all kinds of food (Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Persian, BBQ, etc. etc. etc.) to eat and to make. First kitchen remodel, installed a Viking range myself (ok, two friends helped carry the thing). Second kitchen remodel installed a Thermador Induction cooktop == Heaven! (Soooo much faster & sooo much cooler in the kitchen.)

Recent health issues have impacted cooking significantly. Am now looking for heart-healthy/low sugar recipes and approaches to cooking. It's been frustrating (can't eat that, this or that anymore, so what DO I eat?). I cooked healthily before, just have to do it even more. Hoping for good advice/tips from this forum.

Recent health issues have impacted cooking significantly. Am now looking for heart-healthy/low sugar recipes and approaches to cooking. It's been frustrating (can't eat that, this or that anymore, so what DO I eat?).

Welcome!

If I may be so bold, what type of health problems and what are the dietary recommendations you're having to deal with?

arteriosclerosis in all three major heart arteries (7 stents). Stay away from processed breads (boo), saturated (solid at room temp) fats (what? no butter?), potatoes (why go on with life?) and hold down the red meat to a fist-sized portion a day. I ate lots of fruits and vegetables before, now I have to include more whole grains, low-glycemic index foods, seafood, etc. The doc said I did not eat badly previously, but because of bad luck w/genes, I have to do better. How do you have a sandwich/burger w/o bread? I only ate french fries and the like once or twice a month, but this was still not good enough. It's frustrating trying to come up with palatable substitutes.

I used to just make a hamburger patty and slather it with ketchup. Of course, now I know that ketchup has sugar or HFC and other bad things in it, so I'm going to try making my own ketchup one of these days.

But JC, if you come up with any recipes that are healthy - and edible (so many of them aren't) - let us know! Oh, and welcome to DC. The forum, not the city. LOL

Hey there I'm new here too, originally I come from Seattle, living in Florida right now though :)
have fun and luck exploring!

Back
Top Bottom