"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 01-29-2007, 01:54 AM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty
Franca, I lived in Boulder Creek for 6 years! I miss Santa Cruz really bad! Aptos is lovely! Dont meet many people who were born and raised in SF!
No, I understand we're a somewhat rare group. :)

Quote:
I grew up in Santa Clara, moved up to BC then sold my house in 2004 and moved to SF. All my friends are up there, family is still in San Jose area. I lived in Potrero Hill, very dog friendly area with fabulous views!
Wow, Boulder Creek - small world! I grew up in Pacific Heights in SF but after college one of my oldest friends (who grew up a few blocks from me) had a house on Potrero Hill for a number of years - until her second child was on the way and they needed to find something a bit bigger for the growing family. (They had two German Shepherd Dogs, too, and a cat.) Yes, Potrero Hill is a lovely, sunny, dog-friendly place. There was a park near her house where she and a couple of other friends and I used to meet to run our doggies together. I spent a year living in the Castro and working at USF and then I moved back to Aptos - missed my little house in the country.

Quote:
I love making soup! My favorite recently is roasted sweet potato, red bell pepper and red onion. Toss all of it in the food processor with some veggie stock and bingo! Easy delicious soup!!!
Mmmm, that sounds really good!

Old 01-29-2007, 08:08 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Hi redkitty and most welcome to DC. My in-laws live in Bristol so I often find myself there a couple of times in the year. Maybe someday we could meet up there at the Galleries in Temple meads or Cribbs causeway! I live just 15 mins out of Geneva and if you like skiing, let me let you in on a secret, Easy jet do fly directly to Geneva from Bristol! Moving away from home can be difficult in the beginning, but after a while it gets easier.I moved from Kenya to join my husband here.It was hard in the beginning, no friends, no family, different language etc etc, but now I am happy here, though I wouldn't mind the nice temperate climate all year round like I grew up in. Where in Bristol are you?

Old 01-29-2007, 09:09 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Thank you Kyles! I hope to be starting work soon and think it will help me feel less isolated. Northern potato PIE sounds fabulous!

Boufa, thanks for the hello and I will post my yummy PIE for you!! I sure would love to have a big greek meal right about now!!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:13 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Jikoni, I live in the Filton/Horfield area of Bristol, by the MOD. Ive never been thrilled about it but we have the most wonderful neighbors! What a small world that your in laws live here! When was the last time you were at the Galleries? Its crazy with construction down there right now!! And yes, Easy Jet is great for direct flights out of Bristol! We've been back home twice now so later this year we hope to take a trip somewhere else!

Its so great to hear from others about living in another country and how difficult it can be. I'm soo happy I found this forum!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #15
Head Chef

Redkitty, I came to DC before we lived abroad, but with the language barriers and boredom I have found my "portable" friends here, who are with me whereever I have to go are a real blessing. It is also great that I can talk to people both here in Italy, and worldwide, about ingrediants that are new to me so that I can have success cooking them for the first time. But perhaps more wonderful than practical discussion about a subject we love (FOOD!) are the friendships that spill into other areas of life from here.

My DH did his law conversion at UWE, and as a fewe of us DCer know Bristol so well perhaos we can connect you up with some places/people?

I wish Easyjet went from my Milan airport to Bristol, we only have a very expensive BA flight :(
Old 01-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Hi redkitty. Welcome to dc! We're glad to have you. San Fran is a great city. I lived in Walnut Creek for a couple years and we drove into the city every weekend.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:37 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty
Jikoni, I live in the Filton/Horfield area of Bristol, by the MOD. Ive never been thrilled about it but we have the most wonderful neighbors! What a small world that your in laws live here! When was the last time you were at the Galleries? Its crazy with construction down there right now!! And yes, Easy Jet is great for direct flights out of Bristol! We've been back home twice now so later this year we hope to take a trip somewhere else!

Its so great to hear from others about living in another country and how difficult it can be. I'm soo happy I found this forum!
I love the Bristol suspension Bridge, interestingly I have a postcard or that with the concord flying over it. My ma-in-law loves both(suspension bridge and concord so that explains the postcard)Last time at the galleries was last year's end of year school half term. I took my kids to Puccinos for hot chocolate topped with marshmallows and blueberry muffins to go with it!. I like Waterstones for books (my little ones are into Enid blyton books)and have had some great stuff from TK Max. The boots there is also very self sufficient.WH Smith isn't bad either. Oh and when the certainly Adams for kids clothes.Good prices for quality clothes.I am not a big fun of Cribbs Causeway. Too much hard work. Try and venture out to Weston super mare when it gets warmer. It'd not much, but we have pix of my daughter ridding a donkey on the beach when she was two! She is nine now!!!!!!! If you need any info let me know, I may not have the answer, but will ask my in-laws. Enjoy Brizol(As the locals call it) They also have that annoying thing of calling everyone 'Me lover'
Old 01-29-2007, 04:15 PM   #18
Hospitality Queen

Hey redkitty! It's great to have you here!
I'm also a Californian, but I've got to say, that if given the chance, I'd move to the UK in a second!

I love your idea of the soup parties!!! Fantastic! I just may need to borrow that one!
As for no friends in Bristol yet, just like lulu said, you've always got us!
Old 01-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #19
Head Chef

Have you been down to Street for Clarkes village? There is a le crueset discount shop and a couple of other kitchen suppliers, but le creuset is the best, imo. Definitely NOT a weekend/school holiday shopping place though ARGH

And have you been to Cheddar? My DH, LOVES going to Cheddar, I quite frankly am bored of it, and prefer to get my cheese from the many people we know who produce it, but DH gets a kick out of eating Cheddar in cheddar.....you know what they say about little things pleasing little minds, lol!

Oh, and have you eaten at any good restaurants. All within lunch distance from Bristol I can recommend several very good, from the locally succesful to UK award winners to Michelin star restaurants, food helps!
Old 01-29-2007, 04:48 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Haven't been to Cheddar, especially since husband HATES cheese! No I'm not kidding, the boy is crazy. None of my friends can believe he does not eat cheese!! We've had dinner at a few places here but I prefer to cook
especially given the price to eat out over here!!!

Jikoni, the Clifton Suspension Bridge is absolutely amazing! Love walking around the village, we also took a walk over to Long Ashton to check out Ashton Court.

Thanks for the welcome JKath! I'm so excited to find such a friendly place!!