"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 06-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
Cook

Hello from Essex

Hi

Name's Aileen, from Essex, UK. I look after my 1yr niece and 11yr nephew, whilst my sister is at work. So I have to keep coming up with new ideas in which to allow her to try new foods, whilst making sure she still has her favourite's.

Also I joined for a rather selfish reason. Is that I've got a lot of American friends coming over for a mutal friends wedding, over Thanksgiving. So we decided that it be nice to give them a Thanksgiving meal. So I'm looking for ideas, in what to cook. I'd ask them, but we want to do it for a surprize

Old 06-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC, Aileen!

Check out the threads. We have some wonderful Thanksgiving ideas here!

Old 06-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Welcome to DC.

Here is a Thanksgiving search link: Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums - Search Results
Old 06-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Welcome to DC.

Here is a Thanksgiving search link: Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums - Search Results
Thanks for the link. I had started to search within the meal planning section. I might be a tad early for the planning stages. But considering I have no idea, but from what I'm reading its just like christmas dinner (hope I haven't offended anyone with that).
Old 06-23-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
Executive Chef

c'mon aileen,the only way IS essex! welcome from manchester
Old 06-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC, Aileen. There may be some posts re: Canadian Thanksgiving (October) that might give you some more ideas. Also, Thanksgiving can be regionally influenced. So, depending on where your guests are from, you might want to check out regional specialties re: Thanksgiving. For example, I am from Northern MN. Thanksgiving turkey is stuffed with a wild rice stuffing, at least in my family. And, we don't do the green bean casserole or the yams/sweet potatoes with marshmallow dish. A friend is from Newfoundland, her Thanksgiving dinner always includes sauteed cabbage with lots of butter.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Master Chef

Welcome! My experience with kids (don't have any myself, but have many nieces, nephews, and many young friends) is that they love anything in small and individual portions, and love to dip. Fresh fruit and vegetables with a dip of some kind would entertain them for hours (and be pretty healthy). My young friends here love it when I have small bottles of pop or juice.

I'm going to move on to cooking for special occaisions. Tell us where your American friends are from, and I (and many others) will tell you how to make a real old-fashioned American Thanksgiving dinner!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalWriter View Post
Thanks for the link. I had started to search within the meal planning section. I might be a tad early for the planning stages. But considering I have no idea, but from what I'm reading its just like christmas dinner (hope I haven't offended anyone with that).
Yes we get two months of over eating the same meal...it is a classic, some families do it again at Easter.

Many of us have been cooking a similar meal for a number of years and we have lots of suggestions. Once you have read and made a few basic decisions, create a thread specific to the dinner plan you would like help with and you will have so much help your head will spin!
Old 06-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

I'm going to move on to cooking for special occaisions. Tell us where your American friends are from, and I (and many others) will tell you how to make a real old-fashioned American Thanksgiving dinner!
That might be useful. My friends are from (at least those of have confirmed they are coming):
Wyoming
South Carolina
Montana
Georgia
Louisiana
North Dakota

So far my starter ideas are Baked Brie (small bites), & Crab & Sweetcorn Chowder
Old 06-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalWriter

That might be useful. My friends are from (at least those of have confirmed they are coming):
Wyoming
South Carolina
Montana
Georgia
Louisiana
North Dakota

So far my starter ideas are Baked Brie (small bites), & Crab & Sweetcorn Chowder
In North Dakota, our family's tradition was roast turkey, savory dressing/stuffing, wild rice casserole, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, gravy, mashed rutabegas, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes with marshmallows (blech), pumpkin pie with whipped cream, hot rolls.

We also had a veggie tray for starters.