Hello from Holland!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimInHolland

Assistant Cook
Hi all - My name is Jim, I'm writing in from the Netherlands and I'm baking-crazy. Fabulous to find this forum!

Hi Jim and welcome. My Grandma was from the Netherlands (Utrecht). I have such found memories of her. She was a baker as well. Baked every day of the week. I wish I had her recipe for cinnamon rolls! I was lucky enough to visit her homeland during the bulb season a couple years ago. We went to Amsterdam, Delft, Utrecht (of course), Leiden, Keukenhof, etc. It was beautiful. All those bulb fields, windmills and bikes. Can't wait to go back someday.

Hi Jim !

Was in Holland years ago and I lived on Stroopwafels ! Haven't been able to get it here - do you have a recipe or does everyone just buy them in the supermarket ?

Stroopwafels are waffles, right. Oh my the waffles and the pancakes (apple pancakes!) were to die for. I've never been able to duplicate them here. Jim from Holland, we need recipes!! LOL!

Better later than not...

My Grandma was from the Netherlands (Utrecht). I have such found memories of her.

Just for the record, I'm from New Jersey. Just happened to get lucky! But I'm not too far from Utrecht, 20 minutes north on the way to Amssterdam.

She was a baker as well. Baked every day of the week. I wish I had her recipe for cinnamon rolls!

My family, on Mom's side, are Polish bakers who settled in Jersey City at the turn of the old century. I'm happy if I can get my pizza dough to rise or my scones to stay flaky.. ;)

Before I go on...

...I just wanted to say Hi to everyone here! Very nice to feel at home so quickly. Sorry for the delay in writing, but I was in Brussels for some shopping that got out of hand and I needed another day to bring back furniture. :ohmy:

Stroopwafels...

Hi Jim !
Was in Holland years ago and I lived on Stroopwafels ! Haven't been able to get it here - do you have a recipe or does everyone just buy them in the supermarket ?

Stroopwafels are best when they're hot and gooey, so if you're awake on a saturday morning and not too hung over, you'd head to the town's open market and there's often someone making them fresh. The ones in the store are good, but not quite the same thing...

Welcome Jim - great to have you from Holland! What are Stroopwafels?

Stroopwafels are basically two very thin wafels (more like graham galettes, really) that are glued together with a shmear of a caramel sauce. Left alone, it'll harden in a few minutes, but no one can leave it alone for a few minutes so that's an impossibility.

Stroopwafels are waffles, right. Oh my the waffles and the pancakes (apple pancakes!) were to die for. I've never been able to duplicate them here. Jim from Holland, we need recipes!! LOL!

(Checking pockets...) Nope, I don't have a recipe of my own, but a quick google show that there are some Stroopwafel recipes out here:

And if I had 20 posts and were a member in good standing, I'd have been able to give you a decent recipe for stroopwafels! So google "dianasdesserts" and "Dutch Stroopwafels" OR "recipezaar" and "Stroopwafels Recipe".

;)

Welcome from the heartland of the USA Jim-you've stumbled onto a great site-fun,helpful and most importantly, nice people!

By the way, I gotta go and google on those stroopwafels-anything thats glued together with caramel has got to be good-I know how I'm gonna spend my saturday!!

Hi Jim, I'd say you have struck on some luck. A very cook place to reside, even if I am a bit prejudice!

Guten Tag Jim Welcome to DC Ive got a grandmother that came from Holland she cooked like a saint. Passed severl years ago and took all of her recipes with her >:-(

Velcomme, Jim! I have several Dutch friends and they are fun to be with. Your Schipol airport is one of my favorites to fly into and out of---so organized and much to distract harried travelers......I love collecting the Dutch houses from KLM as well. Lots to do here at DC......welcome again!

It is a great place to live but pretty expensive - I'm in a 40% tax bracket, but that's the price for all the benefits here. We live more like farmers than agriculturalists so the population prefers small open markets and local meats and cheeses. Supermarkets do well still - everyone gets what they want - but the local vendors keep the big stores in check.

The only thing that I can say is that bread here is terrible. It's all coming mass-produced to bakeries and then they just heat it up and sell it...tastes the same everywhere. I'll make my own or buy some in Belgium and freeze it, but I like to experiment with breadtypes. Been making german soft-pretzels recently but then stuffing them with bacon, egg and cheese, then baking. My dutch colleagues roll their eyes, make a comment about fat americans and then line up for the food... ;)

Back
Top Bottom