Hello from Idaho

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberlyswindoll

Assistant Cook
Just starting off with a quick hello...I found this site by a search engine and it helps a lot to see what other people suggest...I'm a beginner cook and am a newly wed...I come from a military family and my mom is filipina...she is the best cook that I've ever known (which of course most people think their moms are)...anyhow, coming from my family, no one but mom cooked and she liked it that way...my mom's occupation is a cook, so she really doesn't know any different then being in control of the kitchen...so because of that, I didn't get too much experience in the kitchen and I've always been eager to learn...for example, my parents came to visit us for two weeks and for that whole time, my mom was always cooking...finally one day I told her that I wanted to cook her dinner for once and for her to relax...but if you knew my mom, then you know that wouldn't be happening...the whole time I was trying to prepare dinner, she was looking over my shoulder...it makes me smile to know that my mom cares for us so much that she takes on the job of cooking but getting her to hand over the reins was more work then just letting her cook lol...now I am a military wife and starting off my own cooking methods which is slowly but surely progressing (thanks to recipes that is and as long as mom's not around to stop me from cooking)...I'm hoping that one day I will be able to break out of my recipe shell and start experimenting on my own...Anyway, hopefully there are more people out there that grew up like I did that can relate...but that my little story to start off with....I wish everyone the best and hopefully you all will be able to see me progress in the world of cooking....take care

Kim

Last edited:
welcome kim!

wow, that's a great intro. many of us had mothers like yours, so you're in good company.

we all have to start somewhere, so if you stick with us and ask a lot of questions, your mom will be impressed with your skills in no time.

Welcome to DC, Kim. Beyond that, Buckytom pretty much summed it up. Cooking is a lot like writing--ask a lot of questions and keep doing it; you'll be surprised at what you can produce.

Hi, Kimberly. Welcome to DC. As long as you enthusiastic and have a desire to learn, you'll do just fine. This site is filled with plenty of knowledgeable people who are more than willing to help. All you have to do is ask away. And, remember, there is no stupid question, only the one you don't ask. We're glad you've found us. Jump on in.

Welcome Kimberly My dad wanted me to be a engineer but I wanted to cook and my mother was the kitchen head of the largest family restaurant in Des Moines Ia at that time and Sunday dinner was all ways brutel, my mother got me started then I was mentored by a master chef for 10 years. I spent 2 years in tokyo and would watch the cooks through the back window there are a lot of friendly folks here DC that will answer your ????

Kim,

From an old retired Air Force NCO, welcome to both the Air Force family and the DC family.

Just be careful, if you follow all these peoples' suggestions, you will be fatter than a butcher hog!

Back
Top Bottom