"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 07-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
While I admit there is a place for fusion when it comes to food I personally think that to many times Chefs take it a bit to far. Just because a dish has spices from around the world doesn't truly make it a fusion dish. Its also the fact that some Chefs have been using certian culinary terms to promote menu items that really don't exist such as the term "confit". This form of preserving meat means to slowly cook in it own fat and then to store it in its own fat. There are restaurants here in the states that often have tomato or onion confit on their menu. I understand how they get away with it, by adding an oil or fat to the item, but the term confit truly applies to an item cooked and stored in its own fat. How much fat percentage does an onion or tomato actually have. As a classically trained Chef I think we should take this time to help educate the public and not confuse them by being overly creative with our terminology. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy many types of fusion styles dishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassezz
@Mark: Yes, I agree. Many a times the dish has been tweaked to local taste buds :) But then, as long as it tastes nice and suits your taste, it does not really matter where it is from? Sometimes I think of cooking as a fusion of all kinds of flavours to create even better dishes!

Old 07-17-2009, 06:22 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Mark, sure agree with you that sometimes restaurants serve food that have been tweaked too far to suit people's tastes. This is particularly so when comes to Asian foods. Many Asian dishes have been tweaked to suit the western taste buds. However I also agree that some fusion can create a totally awesome dish. This is what always happen in a multi racial country like in Malaysia.

http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

Old 07-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Shalinee,
I do agree that fusion has its place throughout the world as our taste buds help to change our minds about certain flavors and combinations. I guess I just think sometimes we tend to go overboard and we start destroying our culinary history instead of building on it. In teaching culinary arts and having Apprentices working for me in my kitchen,we teach them to learn the classic procedures and dishes first and everything else will follow.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:12 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Hi , welcome to this forum.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:15 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Thank you, Thank you all for the warm welcome :)

Well to answer to the different fusion of flavours... i guess i am no professional chef.. Just a mum who cooks and bakes at home for my family.. so, actually I don't even know if I have misuse profesional cooking terms... sorry if I have done that... but then, as long as the food tastes nice, suitable for my taste buds, even though it uses some indian spices or malay cooking method, to me it seems like "fusion" food..

But again, that might not be the "fusion" that everyone means... but I am lucky to be living in Malaysia as we are a country of different races and I enjoy Chinese, Malay, Indian etc etc food easily... there are plenty of shops that serves many different kinds of food. Even the spices used in cooking for these food is easily available :)

Peace!
Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Malaysia is definitely a land of great food. Probably you can never finish tasting all of them. New ones are emerging everyday because of the different races that live there. You are very lucky. Do enjoy your cooking.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Having lived in Asia for several years, and in line with the conversation between Mark and Shalinee - While fusion may be an attempt to create a new flavor, my experience has been that fusion dishes are very inferior to the traditional dishes they were created from. Many chefs extend themselves beyond their capabilities. With many Americans now embracing a truly international palate, it's no longer necessary to water-down (Americanize) the flavors from abroad. The day of serving Americans Chop Suey (the first popular fusion dish) has come to an end.