Hello from Malaysia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sassezz

Assistant Cook
Hi all, I am a Malaysian Chinese, staying in Malaysia.

I am glad I found this forum. I would love to share inspiration on cooking with everyone. Gives me more inspiration on what to cook for my family during weekends :)

Hi , welcome to this forum. I'm a Malaysian Chinese staying in UK. I miss Malaysian food here. Hope to learn more recipes.

Thanks for the welcome... I am still exploring the forums... trying to find out everything....

And yes, Malaysian food is still Malaysian food... I will miss Malaysian food a lot if I stay overseas :)

Do enjoy yourself in this forum. We have lots of nice people around.

Hi all, I am a Malaysian Chinese, staying in Malaysia.

I am glad I found this forum. I would love to share inspiration on cooking with everyone. Gives me more inspiration on what to cook for my family during weekends :)

Hello Sassezz - The more varied our family members, the better we are all for it. Stick around and enjoy the group as I am sure you will add much to our flavors :)

Bob

Sassezz,
Welcome to discuss cooking. Would love to learn more about your cuisine especially what herbs and spices are truly Malaysian in use. Too many times we have restaurants that veer off from the true flavors of a country or region.
Mark

welcome53.gif

Thank you all for the warm welcome... I will definitely enjoy myself here :)

@Mark: Yes, I agree. Many a times the dish has been tweaked to local taste buds :) But then, as long as it tastes nice and suits your taste, it does not really matter where it is from? Sometimes I think of cooking as a fusion of all kinds of flavours to create even better dishes!

While I admit there is a place for fusion when it comes to food I personally think that to many times Chefs take it a bit to far. Just because a dish has spices from around the world doesn't truly make it a fusion dish. Its also the fact that some Chefs have been using certian culinary terms to promote menu items that really don't exist such as the term "confit". This form of preserving meat means to slowly cook in it own fat and then to store it in its own fat. There are restaurants here in the states that often have tomato or onion confit on their menu. I understand how they get away with it, by adding an oil or fat to the item, but the term confit truly applies to an item cooked and stored in its own fat. How much fat percentage does an onion or tomato actually have. As a classically trained Chef I think we should take this time to help educate the public and not confuse them by being overly creative with our terminology. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy many types of fusion styles dishes.

sassezz said:
@Mark: Yes, I agree. Many a times the dish has been tweaked to local taste buds :) But then, as long as it tastes nice and suits your taste, it does not really matter where it is from? Sometimes I think of cooking as a fusion of all kinds of flavours to create even better dishes!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, sure agree with you that sometimes restaurants serve food that have been tweaked too far to suit people's tastes. This is particularly so when comes to Asian foods. Many Asian dishes have been tweaked to suit the western taste buds. However I also agree that some fusion can create a totally awesome dish. This is what always happen in a multi racial country like in Malaysia.

http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

Shalinee,
I do agree that fusion has its place throughout the world as our taste buds help to change our minds about certain flavors and combinations. I guess I just think sometimes we tend to go overboard and we start destroying our culinary history instead of building on it. In teaching culinary arts and having Apprentices working for me in my kitchen,we teach them to learn the classic procedures and dishes first and everything else will follow.

Thank you, Thank you all for the warm welcome :)

Well to answer to the different fusion of flavours... i guess i am no professional chef.. Just a mum who cooks and bakes at home for my family.. so, actually I don't even know if I have misuse profesional cooking terms... sorry if I have done that... but then, as long as the food tastes nice, suitable for my taste buds, even though it uses some indian spices or malay cooking method, to me it seems like "fusion" food..

But again, that might not be the "fusion" that everyone means... but I am lucky to be living in Malaysia as we are a country of different races and I enjoy Chinese, Malay, Indian etc etc food easily... there are plenty of shops that serves many different kinds of food. Even the spices used in cooking for these food is easily available :)

Peace!

Malaysia is definitely a land of great food. Probably you can never finish tasting all of them. New ones are emerging everyday because of the different races that live there. You are very lucky. Do enjoy your cooking.

Having lived in Asia for several years, and in line with the conversation between Mark and Shalinee - While fusion may be an attempt to create a new flavor, my experience has been that fusion dishes are very inferior to the traditional dishes they were created from. Many chefs extend themselves beyond their capabilities. With many Americans now embracing a truly international palate, it's no longer necessary to water-down (Americanize) the flavors from abroad. The day of serving Americans Chop Suey (the first popular fusion dish) has come to an end.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom