Hello from northern Ontario

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cordel

Senior Cook
Hello, I just found this forum while looking for recipes for The Big Green Egg that we just purchased. I hear you can use it all year round, and we are looking for recipes that people have successfully used on the BGE.

I also like new recipes and techniques for all kinds of cooking.

Cordel

Thanks

Thanks Loprraine. I spent the rest of the afternoon searching for different bread recipes. If it stops snowing and the sun comes out, we may try to cook a loaf tomorrow.

Hi, Cordel. Welcome to DC. You're already learning that whenever you ask a question, the answers soon arrive. Hope you are successful with your new "toy." Hope you plan to stay and become part of our foodie family. We're glad you've found us.

Thanks Bilby, I just went to that website. I must spend some time on their forum and see what is there.

We used to have a Weber, before we had kids. This one is much thicker, and ceramic of some sort, so it is supposed to hold the heat even when it is cold. I hope to get a warm sunny day to figure out how to adjust the dampers to get a steady temperature. This was our first read day of snow, and at dusk it was looking like Christmas.

Sounds a bit like a cross between a weber and a chiminea.

Don't get snow here ever! One of the "mountains" (I use the term loosely!) down south, Mt Bluff, got some snow on it a couple of weeks ago after a cold wind from Antartica blew through and it dominated the news headlines for a couple of days! If it ever snowed in Perth, there would probably be mass hysteria!!LOL

They make a chiminea for patios. I had not looked at your location, but of course you get no snow. We don't expect this to stay and the lake we are on only has ice around the perimiter, and that will probably be gone by tomorrow, but the temps will probably not get more than five degrees above freezing until well on into spring.

I spent some time on that site, but I think what we have to do is just start using the egg and learn by experience. I am really hoping the sun will shine tomorrow. I am not going to stand in the snow to check the temperature.

Yes, I did. It is still below freezing, and the snow that fell yesterday is staying on the ground. But the smell of bread out of the egg is just great, and I am sure the roast of pork will smell good, too.

I'm sorry to say Cordel that the BGE has been outlawed in Ontario - you must bring it to Western North Carolina immediately or "they" will get you and never let you go :devilish:...................:w00t2:

Didn't work? rats!

Welcome to Discuss Cooking. I'm looking forward to seeing the results of your efforts on the BGE - your last post is making me VERY jealous!

Outlawing of BGE

Heh, :rolleyes: well, if you can provide me with accomodations, and some golfing, I might bring it down for a visit.

We didn't use the egg today, it was truly miserable out. We had leftover pork from the loin roast, before Taoist Tai Chi. It was excellent. Yesterday's pizza was amazing. Tomorrow we are doing chicken, cooked on one of those can up the butt holders. It is amazing in the oven...I can't even guess how good it will be on the Egg.

Back
Top Bottom