Hello from NYC! (help needed)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYR

Assistant Cook
Hi, I'm a 16 year old male from NYC and I would really like to get into cooking. I'm not a spoiled kid, but I'm very fortunate and grateful to have financially stable parents that are able to take me to some of the top restaurants in NYC/Miami/other. I've always enjoyed food and I am beginning to develop a passion for it after tasting great good.

I don't know where to start. My mother isn’t much of a cook and only makes national (Russian) and homemade dishes. I enjoy some, but if I were to cook I would like to expand to other cultures. Where and how can I begin to learn to cook? Are there any instructional videos for basics on the web? What are some key ingredients and tools that I must always have in the kitchen?

Thank you.

Hi, I'm a 16 year old male from NYC and I would really like to get into cooking. I'm not a spoiled kid, but I'm very fortunate and grateful to have financially stable parents that are able to take me to some of the top restaurants in NYC/Miami/other. I've always enjoyed food and I am beginning to develop a passion for it after tasting great good.

I don't know where to start. My mother isn’t much of a cook and only makes national (Russian) and homemade dishes. I enjoy some, but if I were to cook I would like to expand to other cultures. Where and how can I begin to learn to cook? Are there any instructional videos for basics on the web? What are some key ingredients and tools that I must always have in the kitchen?

Thank you.

Hello, welcome to DC!

I think the best way to learn to cook is to buy a good cookbook. there are several that are great for beginners, starting with basics on up to gourmet meals. My favorite is Better Homes and Gardens. Have fun and jump in anywhere, everyone here is helpful.

I love to see people follow their passions!

If you pick a culture or county whose food you'd like to try, we could probably help with recipe and tool specifics. Or pick a favorite dish you've had in a restaurant and maybe we could help you replicate it.

I enjoy Italian, French, and Asian. I'm also big on steak.

Get a job at the Russian Tea Room? Learn how to prepare the many ingredients that can be bought at reasonable prices (especially if you speak Russian) in the stores of Brighton Beach.

Last edited:
Welcome to DC! Does your mom make a marinated eggplant salad with dill? I've been looking for that recipe for years!

Start simple--5-6 ingredients, and then expand. Starting with one ethnic food profile is also a good idea. Be creative and enjoy! Starting with breakfast dishes (different ways to make eggs, pancakes, etc.) is a good idea. Better Homes and Gardens and The Joy of Cooking are good places to start. If there are classes you can take--evening, weekend seminar, at a local specialty food store, go for those too.

You can also find some good how-to videos on You-Tube. If you want to spend a little money Rouxbe Online Video Cooking School has great online lessons with step-by-step videos. You will find lots of help here at DC, and you can do an online search for recipes, techniques, etc.

Good luck, and welcome to DC! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom