Hello from Romania

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome Len. I love food and I love photography so I look forward to seeing what you have to share.

Welcome to DC, Len. I am so happy that you are joining us. I know you will find that we have really nice members who are here to help with any questions you may have. And we love to share recipes.

Hi Len, and welcome aboard! I look forward to the recipes you will share with us as well as your photos.

Mushrooms with white sauce

Mushrooms with white sauce and chicken, something I did today

Ingredients
  • 1 kg mushrooms
  • 1/2 white onion
  • some chicken white (optional)
  • 40g flour, one egg yolk
Preparation
  • cut the mushrooms, chicken and onion
  • cook the chicken in a wok with 1 tbs of oil and remove
  • clean the wok, brown the onion with 2-3 tbs of oil
  • add the mushrooms and cover
  • cover and let it cook for 20 mins on a low flame until the mushrooms are soft
  • mix some water (or mushrooms sauce or the chicken sauce) with the flour and the egg yolk. The mix consistency should be similar to that of the yolk so add more water if needed.
  • remove the cover, add the flour mix and the chicken pieces
  • stir until the sauce is as thick as you like it
  • enjoy
Would love to post a photo but I'm not allowed yet :)

Hello Len, when you can post a photo please come back to this thread you started and post it. A few hints to get to twenty posts - say hello every new person, congratulations to every birthday, complement a good recipe, give your answer to a question. You will be able to show us this nice mushrooms with white sauce in a few days! Otherwise welcome and how did you learn such good English?

Actually David, those posts do not really count for the 20. The rule is that you need at least 20 posts and you have to be a contributing member in good standing. Someone who just posts in the birthday threads and welcomes new members (while those are both great things to do) does not really count as being a contributing member. You need to make posts of substance, not just fluff.

Don't worry Len, I know you will be able to post those photos in no time and I for one can't wait to see them.

Oops!

Actually David, those posts do not really count for the 20. The rule is that you need at least 20 posts and you have to be a contributing member in good standing. Someone who just posts in the birthday threads and welcomes new members (while those are both great things to do) does not really count as being a contributing member. You need to make posts of substance, not just fluff.

Don't worry Len, I know you will be able to post those photos in no time and I for one can't wait to see them.

Thank you for the correction! Actually, what I should have said is that the more people you welcome, etc the more ideas you will see. The more ideas the more you will look for more information, come up with suggestions, and have things you want to try yourself.:chef: I've seen so many things my list is growing and I must slow down and catch up!

Welcome Len and thanks for the recipe. Simple but sounds great. Can't wait to try it. Quick question, why do you clean the wok after cooking the chicken? I would think chicken bits would add to the flavor of the onions/mushrooms.

I agree but I want to avoid a burning crust from the chicken sauce when browning onion as I always try to brown the onion with as little oil as possible so for convenience I prefer a clean wok :)

Thanks for the tip

It is great to chat with you. This is amazing. I appreciate the tip. I am travelling the next few days, but will try when I get back. You're the best.

Bill

Regarding chicken here is another one I have done a few days ago:

Ingredients

Start by chopping up:
  • 1/2 onion
  • 3-4 garlic cloves
  • some ginger as you like it
  • chicken legs or breast with no skin or bones
You will also need:
  • curry maddras (not the redish one from the supermarkets here in Romania, still have some stock from last time I was in Paris)
  • some mustard seeds (yellow preferably but not very important)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • a bit of tomato sauce (preferably from 1 fresh tomato cut very very thin or razed)
  • garam masala (my stock is out and could not find anywhere here)
  • 1 egg
Preparation

• Brown the chicken pieces in oil until they are white. Remove and store in a glass or ceramic covered bowl (I hate plastic). Usualy this leaves also a bit of sauce, keep it.
  • Brown together the onion, garlic and ginger.
  • When it's almost ready add the mustard seeds and wait until they start popping
  • Add the curry and stir. Make it very fast to avoid the curry to burn
  • Add the chicken and it's sauce and stir
  • Add water (1/2 glass) and the tomato sauce and stir again
  • Cover partially and leave it for 30-40 minutes on a low flame
  • In the mean time:
    • prepare the couscous (saddly I use instant type as I could not find another)
    • boil the egg
  • Just before it's ready, cut the egg and add it to the sauce and also add the garam masala if you have it
  • Enjoy
Alternatively you can serve it with white rice as I suppose it's ment to be eaten but I think they meld better like this.

Enhancements

As an enhancement you could add raisins to the initial mix of ginger, onion and mustard seeds. They will enrich the taste and make the results more sweat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom