Hello from Saskatchewan, Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaydee1a

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I have lived in Saskatchewan all my life (many different areas of the province). I work as a cook (mostly baking) at a seniors' lodge, cooking for about 120 people. So a batch of cookies might be 200, lol.
I also enjoy knitting, crocheting and sewing.
I will have been married to my husband for 30 years in December and have one adult daughter.

I used to have a boyfriend in Yorktown (sp?), Sask. In fact, that is where I saw the Queen!! Years ago when she travelled across Canada for the UK Games (or something like that) As she rounded a corner in a convertible, I squealed with delight, causing her to flinch!!!! hahaha!

Hi from Edmonton Jaydee. Welcome aboard!

Mark, imagine North Dakota only flatter with more wheat fields and you have Saskatchewan. The cities are medium sized and Saskatoon is quite a little bastion of the arts I understand. I've never lived in SK, but I've travelled there a lot and many of my friends have lived there.

Hello from Kansas City, MO,
Would love to find out more about Saskatchewan.
Mark,
What would you like to know? I would think Saskatchewan and Kansas would be similar in some ways. And no, it isn't all flat, lol. Southwest Saskatchewan is very hilly and Cypress Hills Provincial Park has the highest elevation west of the Rockies I believe (not really sure about that, but I know it does have a very high elevation).
Saskatchewan is still mostly rural. Our economy is actually still booming now and I think we have one of the lowest unemployment rates in Canada.

I used to have a boyfriend in Yorktown (sp?), Sask. In fact, that is where I saw the Queen!! Years ago when she travelled across Canada for the UK Games (or something like that) As she rounded a corner in a convertible, I squealed with delight, causing her to flinch!!!! hahaha!
I laughed when I pictured the queen flinching, lol. I don't think I've ever been to Yorkton, but have relatives near there.

Jaydee,
I was born in Saskatoon and took my grade 12 and university in Regina. I have been on the west coast for 30 years now, but still love Saskatchewan and consider it as much home as here. When the Lions and Roughriders play I end up cheering for both and am happy with whoever wins! Are you in the north or south?

Welcome to DC. It is a great place and there are a fair number of us Canucks here as well! I know you will find it home fairly quickly.

My mother was born in North Battleford in 1911, where her parents, English immigrants, had some sort of a land grant. Moved to BC when she was about 8. She used to tell us lies about trudging to school through deep snow drifts in minus 80 degree weather.

My mother was born in North Battleford in 1911, where her parents, English immigrants, had some sort of a land grant. Moved to BC when she was about 8. She used to tell us lies about trudging to school through deep snow drifts in minus 80 degree weather.

Those ain't lies! I used to be wrapped up (literally) in the 6 ft by 1 ft scarf my Mom knit me, with boots, snowpants, hooded jacket and mittens with only my eyes showing and walk the three blocks to school - that was for kindergarten through to grade 2. We then moved to the coast and my sister and I laughed our heads off one day when school was cancelled for 3 inches of snow!

The first time (actually only time) I brought my husband to ND in the winter, it was 85 below zero (OK, windchill, but still)... My sister's car was frozen at the mall for two weeks.

I live in "Midwest" Saskatchewan (Lloydminster) at least that's what they like to call it. I was born in Watrous, SK (sort of between Saskatoon and Regina) and lived there until I was 20 or so when I moved to Saskatoon for several years. My husband and I then farmed near Swift Current for a few years in the 80's when there was a severe drought. Bad timing! We have lived in Lloydminster for several years now.
Huge Roughrider fan here too! I think they play Montreal this afternoon.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I'm sure I will feel at home here very quickly!

The first time (actually only time) I brought my husband to ND in the winter, it was 85 below zero (OK, windchill, but still)... My sister's car was frozen at the mall for two weeks.
Thank goodness it's not always that cold, lol. Today it's supposed to get to 30+ Celsius.
It's probably hard for people in warmer places to believe that your car can be "frozen". :)

I love the cold weather and although as I grow older my fondeness for snow and the ice it brings has dropped off some. When I was in the service I actually spent a year at McMurdo Station Antarctica. Now talk about cold weather it was pretty chilly some days.

I live in "Midwest" Saskatchewan (Lloydminster) at least that's what they like to call it. I was born in Watrous, SK (sort of between Saskatoon and Regina) and lived there until I was 20 or so when I moved to Saskatoon for several years. My husband and I then farmed near Swift Current for a few years in the 80's when there was a severe drought. Bad timing! We have lived in Lloydminster for several years now.
Huge Roughrider fan here too! I think they play Montreal this afternoon.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I'm sure I will feel at home here very quickly!

I have been to all of the places you mentioned! And yes, I am sure going to be watching that game. I worked in a little convenience store in the late 70's in Regina and the Roughrider's office was right above us. We all got to become good friends with all the coaches and players as they came in often.

So what do you like to cook?

Those ain't lies! I used to be wrapped up (literally) in the 6 ft by 1 ft scarf my Mom knit me, with boots, snowpants, hooded jacket and mittens with only my eyes showing and walk the three blocks to school - that was for kindergarten through to grade 2. We then moved to the coast and my sister and I laughed our heads off one day when school was cancelled for 3 inches of snow!
She claimed this was in August. :ROFLMAO:

The summer I started grad school, I had to scrape at least 2 inches of snow off my car, and that was June, in Wyoming!!!! It's been known to snow every month of the year here. I've seen it myself!

Anyways, Jaydee, we don't mean to hijack your welcome thread to discuss the disgusting weather LOL! Welcome again and we hope you really do enjoy your stay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom