"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 07-18-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hello from Saskatchewan, Canada

Hi,
I have lived in Saskatchewan all my life (many different areas of the province). I work as a cook (mostly baking) at a seniors' lodge, cooking for about 120 people. So a batch of cookies might be 200, lol.
I also enjoy knitting, crocheting and sewing.
I will have been married to my husband for 30 years in December and have one adult daughter.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
Hello from Kansas City, MO,
Would love to find out more about Saskatchewan.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Head Chef

I used to have a boyfriend in Yorktown (sp?), Sask. In fact, that is where I saw the Queen!! Years ago when she travelled across Canada for the UK Games (or something like that) As she rounded a corner in a convertible, I squealed with delight, causing her to flinch!!!! hahaha!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Everymom

Hi from Edmonton Jaydee. Welcome aboard!

Mark, imagine North Dakota only flatter with more wheat fields and you have Saskatchewan. The cities are medium sized and Saskatoon is quite a little bastion of the arts I understand. I've never lived in SK, but I've travelled there a lot and many of my friends have lived there.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webster View Post
Hello from Kansas City, MO,
Would love to find out more about Saskatchewan.
Mark,
What would you like to know? I would think Saskatchewan and Kansas would be similar in some ways. And no, it isn't all flat, lol. Southwest Saskatchewan is very hilly and Cypress Hills Provincial Park has the highest elevation west of the Rockies I believe (not really sure about that, but I know it does have a very high elevation).
Saskatchewan is still mostly rural. Our economy is actually still booming now and I think we have one of the lowest unemployment rates in Canada.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
I used to have a boyfriend in Yorktown (sp?), Sask. In fact, that is where I saw the Queen!! Years ago when she travelled across Canada for the UK Games (or something like that) As she rounded a corner in a convertible, I squealed with delight, causing her to flinch!!!! hahaha!
I laughed when I pictured the queen flinching, lol. I don't think I've ever been to Yorkton, but have relatives near there.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Certified Cake Maniac

Jaydee,
I was born in Saskatoon and took my grade 12 and university in Regina. I have been on the west coast for 30 years now, but still love Saskatchewan and consider it as much home as here. When the Lions and Roughriders play I end up cheering for both and am happy with whoever wins! Are you in the north or south?

Welcome to DC. It is a great place and there are a fair number of us Canucks here as well! I know you will find it home fairly quickly.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Head Chef

My mother was born in North Battleford in 1911, where her parents, English immigrants, had some sort of a land grant. Moved to BC when she was about 8. She used to tell us lies about trudging to school through deep snow drifts in minus 80 degree weather.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
My mother was born in North Battleford in 1911, where her parents, English immigrants, had some sort of a land grant. Moved to BC when she was about 8. She used to tell us lies about trudging to school through deep snow drifts in minus 80 degree weather.
Those ain't lies! I used to be wrapped up (literally) in the 6 ft by 1 ft scarf my Mom knit me, with boots, snowpants, hooded jacket and mittens with only my eyes showing and walk the three blocks to school - that was for kindergarten through to grade 2. We then moved to the coast and my sister and I laughed our heads off one day when school was cancelled for 3 inches of snow!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
Head Chef

The first time (actually only time) I brought my husband to ND in the winter, it was 85 below zero (OK, windchill, but still)... My sister's car was frozen at the mall for two weeks.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote