Hello from southern France

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hayate

Assistant Cook
Hello everybody,
My name is Hayate and I'm from France. I'm here because, like all of you, i love cooking and particularly make pastries.

I registered here, on an english forum because i'd like speak english better.
I'm sorry for the "level of language" and know that it is difficult de read bad English, with many mistakes. In France, one says that it "sting the eyes" ! :)
Feel free to correct me, it will be a pleasure for me :)

So, I do a lot of cakes but my dream is to suceed macaroons. I tried to do it 4 times, but it was 4 times a failure..

Eager to share with you :)

Hello everybody,
My name is Hayate and I'm from France. I'm here because, like all of you, i love cooking and particularly make pastries.

I'm sorry for the "level of language" and know that it is difficult de read bad English, with many mistakes. In France, one says that it "sting the eyes" ! :)

So, I do a lot of cakes but my dream is to suceed macaroons. I tried to do it 4 times, but it was 4 times a failure..

Bon jour, Hayate, and welcome to DC. You are not on your own with the macaroons. My grandmother tries to teach me when I was little but they've never worked for me.

I don't think you have much to worry about when it comes to your English.:)

Welcome to DC, Hayate! No worries, we have many members who are not native English speakers, you are doing just fine!

Hi welcome! ! I'm an italian member and I joined DC because I like cooking and to improve my english, like you!!!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Salut Hayate,
Bienvenue, I am Scottish but live in the Bearn region here in France...........and love it! My French is getting better but it is difficult so you are not alone trying to learn another language. We are lucky because we have a wonderful patisserie in town whose speciality is Macaroons so as I can't better them I make other cakes and pastries that they can't!!

Welcome to DC. You are doing just fine with your English. We have so many members that are from around the world. As we never fail to get the meaning of what they are trying to say. You are doing just fine with your English. It is not an easy language to learn.

You will find that this is a fun forum. We have a lot of laughs and really enjoy each other company and posts. :angel:

Welcome Hayate! I just got done reading a novel about learning classic French pastry. I also understand French Macaroons are quite different from American ones.

English is one of the toughest languages in the world to learn because it is so unstructured. You are doing fine and we understand. Keep posting.

Hello everybody,

Not to worry Hayate. There are many here who only speak one language (English, sort of) and many times, we don't do it particularly well at that. I admire anyone who even can get by with speaking more than one language.
WELCOME !!

Not to worry Hayate. There are many here who only speak one language (English, sort of) and many times, we don't do it particularly well at that. I admire anyone who even can get by with speaking more than one language.
WELCOME !!
And then there's English English and the American English. Someone, no-one seems to know who, once described The US and the UK as "two countries divided by a common language". It got me into trouble a few times when I first joined DC and occasionally I still think "What the...."

If you don't understand something just ask. We won't mind.

Hello everybody,

It is nice to meet you. I have been wanting to learn French for many years now.

And then there's English English and the American English. Someone, no-one seems to know who, once described The US and the UK as "two countries divided by a common language". It got me into trouble a few times when I first joined DC and occasionally I still think "What the...."

If you don't understand something just ask. We won't mind.

I see you are in North West England. My late mother and grandmother were from Manchester, England. I was born at Burtonwood Air Force Base in Warrington, England. I agree that the King's English is far better than our American English.

I see you are in North West England. My late mother and grandmother were from Manchester, England. I was born at Burtonwood Air Force Base in Warrington, England. I agree that the King's English is far better than our American English.
A belated welcome to DC

Not really. The two forms have just developed in different directions in the last 400 years or so. I used to teach english and history so the development of language interests me. A lot of American-isms hark back to an earlier meanings of english words, such as "mad" for "angry". It hung on here as dialect or slang in some areas but seems to have re-entered English english in the 20thC probably due to the "talkies". We have a lot of American slang as well - mostly due to TV and films but some picked up from contact with Americans during their service here.

I suppose your Mother was a GI Bride:) Do you remember much about England or did you go back to the US before you were old enough to take notice?

I live in Marple which is about 4 miles from Stockport and 10 miles south-east of Manchester.

Burtonwood finally closed down in the 1990s. There is a "heritage centre" there now

https://www.gulliversfun.co.uk/warrington/burtonwood-heritage-centre.htm

and there is a Burtonwood Association mainly aimed at Rf and USAF service personnel who served there.

Home

This is a local history link about Burtonwood which might interest you

BBC - Liverpool Local History - The American Connection - Introduction to Burtonwood

Last edited:
My bridesmaid at my wedding to my first husband was the daughter of an English bride. He mother didn't want her family to lose their heritage to England, so she went back to England to have her first child. The family remained friends right up to my husbands death. They often shared stories on England before the war.

Like England, most of our soldiers and other servicemen who served in WWII, are slowly leaving us. But they brought back so many stories of how the English welcomed them and made them feel right at home. For that, America owes England a huge "Thank You." :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom