Hello from St. Louis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jude6272

Assistant Cook
Hey there. I'm a freelance writer and love to cook as a hobby. I always want to learn new techniques and I'm hoping this site can help.

Welcome to DC. There are a few pros here but I believe the majority of us are home cooks.

Hey there. I'm a freelance writer and love to cook as a hobby. I always want to learn new techniques and I'm hoping this site can help.
Hi and welcome to DC. We'll do our best to help. Just ask.

As you'll see from my "name plate" I'm English so perhaps you can settle a question that has puzzled me for years - the pronunciation of the town of St Louis.

Is it St Louie, as in "Meet Me In St Louie, Louie. Meet me at the fair" as sung in the film, or St Loowis as it's often pronounced on television news reports, by both "English" and "American" speakers?

It's not important, I'm just curious.

Is it St Louie, as in "Meet Me In St Louie, Louie. Meet me at the fair" as sung in the film, or St Loowis as it's often pronounced on television news reports, by both "English" and "American" speakers.

Theoretically, it should be "Louie" as in the French king, but I would say 99% of Americans say "Louis" unless they're singing the song. Surrounding cities include St. James, St. Ann, and St. Charles, so people pronounce it like it's spelled. Most locals shorten to "STL".

I hope that helped.

I have heard St. Louis called St. Lou+wee and St. Lou+wis but most American call it St. Lou+wis.
Hi and welcome to DC. We'll do our best to help. Just ask.

As you'll see from my "name plate" I'm English so perhaps you can settle a question that has puzzled me for years - the pronunciation of the town of St Louis.

Is it St Louie, as in "Meet Me In St Louie, Louie. Meet me at the fair" as sung in the film, or St Loowis as it's often pronounced on television news reports, by both "English" and "American" speakers?

It's not important, I'm just curious.

Theoretically, it should be "Louie" as in the French king, but I would say 99% of Americans say "Louis" unless they're singing the song. Surrounding cities include St. James, St. Ann, and St. Charles, so people pronounce it like it's spelled. Most locals shorten to "STL".

I hope that helped.
Thanks Jude

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom