"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hello from Texas

Hi, I'm new to this group and hoping to find ethnic recipes that my grandmothers made. One grandmother was Hungarian, the other was German, but her recipes were things like halupkies and perogies, potika bread - they seem Russian, Bosnian or from the Ukrain. Her sister married someone who was Ukrainian - so maybe that is where some of her recipes were from.
Also....my daughter is vegetarian, so any helpful hints and quick nutritious recipes would be appreciated.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC Miss Beloved!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved View Post
Hi, I'm new to this group and hoping to find ethnic recipes that my grandmothers made. One grandmother was Hungarian, the other was German, but her recipes were things like halupkies and perogies, potika bread - they seem Russian, Bosnian or from the Ukrain. Her sister married someone who was Ukrainian - so maybe that is where some of her recipes were from.
Also....my daughter is vegetarian, so any helpful hints and quick nutritious recipes would be appreciated.
Hi, Beloved. Welcome to DC. You've come to a valuable place to find some of the recipes you long for.

As for the "potika" bread, my family is from Croatia and we make something called potica, which is a yeast bread with ground walnuts, cinnamon, honey, and lemon zest. I'll post the recipe if you're interested. It's been in my family for nearly 100 years.

Stay with us and enjoy everyone's company. We're glad you've found us.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:16 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I would love to see your recipe!

Hi Katie,
Yes, this is the bread my Grandmother made. Sometimes she would substitute pecans for the walnuts. She made it every Christmas and we all loved it, but never saw her recipe. She died Sept.13th - one week ago today. I have three of her cookbooks, but I have not found the recipe yet. I would like to make it for Christmas for my Grandfather.
Thank you!
Beloved
Old 09-20-2007, 11:17 PM   #5
Head Chef

Ukrainian cusine in Hungary? Tak!

Quote:
Hello "Belolved" and welcome, yes indeed, the things you mention are Ukraine all the way! Ukrainian they are. Those borders moved around a lot and there are people of Ukrainian heritage living west of the Hungarian - Ukrainian shared border. Besides that recipes and cusines jump around themselves. Do you know if your Hungarian grandmother was from East Hungary? Probably so. I have a stack of authentic Ukrainian recipes, just have to get them out. And there are acouple of most excellent cookbooks available at Amazon. I use them also. Let me know how I can help.

CharlieD is the authentic Ukrainian cook , look him up - I just pretend. If you like I will send you a menu I had a heavy hand in. david.cottrell1@verizon.net. Also take a look at the borsch recipes in Books by Volunteers who serve Ukraine Orphans There are acouple of good links in the borsch section.

I must be off! Again welcome and let us know how we can help.

And to Katie, sure, I would really like to have that recipe for the bread if it's not too much trouble. D
Old 09-20-2007, 11:27 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Hi Katie,
Yes, this is the bread my Grandmother made. Sometimes she would substitute pecans for the walnuts. She made it every Christmas and we all loved it, but never saw her recipe. She died Sept.13th - one week ago today. I have three of her cookbooks, but I have not found the recipe yet. I would like to make it for Christmas for my Grandfather.
Thank you!
Beloved
Oh, Beloved. I will be more than happy to share my family's recipe for potica. It's so rich and heavenly. We always make it at Christmastime. I'm sure your grandfather would feel loved if you made it for him.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:28 AM   #7
Head Chef

Welcome beloved. you have just found the best group of folks devoted to food and some times strong drink. I would like to see some of you recipes from eastern Europe
so let you fingers go to town
Old 09-21-2007, 12:35 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Beloved,
welcome to DC..We're so glad to have you join us. Will look forward to any recipes you'd like to share and will be happy to share ours with you.
kadesma
Old 09-21-2007, 07:15 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
Welcome beloved. you have just found the best group of folks devoted to food and some times strong drink. I would like to see some of you recipes from eastern Europe
so let you fingers go to town
Hi David,
I'll get some recipes posted. It may take me a few days though. From what I've read I need to post them in another forum. I'll let you know when I've podted them.
thank you for the Welcome.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:42 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC, Beloved. Looking forward to your recipes.