Hello from the Netherlands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoleFresa

Assistant Cook
Hello, my name is Nicole and I live in the Netherlands. Baking is my passion, hence why I joined DC.

My question to you: What is your favorite recipe?

Hi Nicole, and welcome to DC. :flowers:

You'll find a lot of wonderful bakers here. I'm not one of them. :ermm::LOL:

When you ask "what is your favorite recipe?" do you mean for baking, or general cooking? If you narrow it down a little, it will be easier to reply. There are many subforums in the blue bar at the top of the page, you're sure to find what you're looking for and if not, jump in and ask away! :)

Favorite recipe is a loaded question. There are so many cuisines around the world and I'm not sure if I have a single favorite from the ones I've tried.

I've stayed in Amsterdam on several occasions, while working on projects at one of the De Vries Shipyards.

Welcome to DC. Many years ago my family knew a young mother who lived in the Netherlands. Holland at the time. She lived there during the Occupation and would tell my kids of what life was like at that time. She showed my kids her feet and how badly deformed they became due to having to wear the wooden shoes that are meant only for the tourist trade. When she came to this country, she kept those shoes and brought them with her. She had a love/hate relationship with those shoes. I have never forgotten her and the stories she told our family of her life at that time.

I do hope you stick around. We love new members. You will have lots of laughter, and make a lot of knew friends.

Hoi, Ik ben een oehoe!
That is all I can say perfectly in Dutch. I can read dutch recipes but I cant speak the language, except for a few words that are the same in Dutch and Swedish.

I think you will like it here.

Welcome to discuss cooking!

My father in law is Dutch, as such, I would love to hear some Nederlander recipes around here.

SO you asked for a recipe? Could you give me one back, from the Netherlands?

I'll give you two.

This one is pretty American, Chill

One large can Red Kidney Beans (40 oz)
one can black beans (15 oz)
one can pink beans (15 oz)
one can black beans (15 oz)

1 lb ground beef
one bulb garlic
one large onion

1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp chilli powder
salt
pepper
paprika
(all to taste)

1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 poblano pepper
1 other pepper

1 cinnamon stick
1 10 oz can tomato paste

Cut up the peppers. Decision on them is based on what you can get. You want to get a 2/1 pepper to meat ratio.

Dice all the garlic fine, add to the meat and spices. brown the meat. (note if you want to make this vegetarian, omit meat, add olive oil (1tbsp), and something starchy, I like mushrooms)

Add all the other ingredients. I know a can of tomato paste doesn't make sense, but for this recipe it is what makes it hang together.

Let this simmer for several hours. Longer it simmers, better it gets.

Welcome to DC! No baker here either, if you'd narrow it down, we could probably help you out.

Welcome to DC! I don't have a favorite recipe...I have favorite ingredients...I think you'll a lot of us "cook without a recipe" based on what is in the pantry, fridge, freezer and others who mostly cook with recipes. I am in the cook without a recipe. Good friends of mine are from the Netherlands...I have had some lovely meals at their table. There was a fruit dumpling one brought for our New Year's dinner one year...It was so good! I can't remember the name of it...

I am not a baker, either. I prefer savory. I don't eat bread, pasta, or sweets very often, so I tend not to cook those things. Although, I seem to have been doing a lot of baking getting ready for Christmas! I used to bake a lot before I knocked sugar out of my life.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom