Hello from WNC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maurices

Assistant Cook
:LOL: I am ancient but would love to learn how to cook without doing what I just did today. I made my usual pot of chili, but added something that made the whole thing very bitter. My wife who does not like to cook, but knows more than I do, said that excessive cumin a/o chili powder would cause it. I also suspect that a new ingredient may have influenced the bitter flavor, DelMonte Mexican Style Tomatoes with Jalapenos. Normally, I use that brand of tomatoes with no problem, but the addition of Jalapenos is new to me. BTW, I love jalapenos, etc. What can I do to offset the bitterness - I don't want to thow away the whole pot, but will. Thanks, Maurice

Last edited:
What I would do is divide the pot first. Then I'd try adding a can of regular tomatoes and a small amount of sugar. Maybe about a tablespoon per two quarts. Sometimes sugar will mellow out the flavor. If it works...great...you can do the other half. If it doesn't...you haven't made the whole thing worse.

I think your wife is right--or at least it isn't the new kind of tomatoes. Do what kaylinda suggested. What is WNC?

Maurices

Hello and welcome. This is a great Cooking Site. Sorry about the Chili but in the end I bet it was delicious.

Jill and Jolie

Thanks for the replies - that was quick. Actually, we have already added about 4 tablespoons of sugar - suggested by my wife, but after it blends, the bitter flavor returns - now it's getting sweet and I, a type II diabetic, don't need the sugar. I remember mom (died at 91) used many spices (from Mobile,AL - strong French and Spanish influence in cooking) - she always seemed to have a remedy to offset various flavors that dominated the pot (when she got too sloppy - always measured by eye). What concerns me, is that I have used all of these spices in the past, at times overly so, but never got a bitter taste out of it - too strong maybe, but never bitter.

WNC = Western North Carolina (in the mountains - Hendersonville).

Bienvenue, maurice. Not sure what to do with the chili, especially after you added the sugar (maybe used grated carrots next time?).

Possibly you overdid it on the cumin, which is a lovely spice but a little goes a long way.

Thanks everyone - had to terminate my earlier reply before sharing what I had added in addition to the granulated sugar by my wife who was hungry and wanted to just try (had canned soup on the ready). After adding each sugar (4 Tbsp in all) I let each simmer for 15-20min, then decided to add 1 large potato cut in half, to absorb excessive flavors - some but not much help, the a little water. When we finally ate it, we topped it with some shredded 4-Mexican cheese and after a swallow or two our taqstes buds adapted and it was not too bad. I will be extremely careful in the future to be careful with cumin and chili powder. Can they really cause bitterness?

Maurice, regardless of your present or possibly future problems, you have found a home. Welcome, Marion

I'm inclined to believe it was the cumin versus the chili powder. Does "stinky feet" come to mind????

Welcome to the site!!!!! It's tough when one flavor overpowers and you don't know what to do. I just made some red curry chicken - geez, there was no taming it. I guess I'll measure next time - or I'll just know not to add 1/2 a jar to the pot!!!!!

I think cumin doesn't make it bitter. Is it possible that instead of chili powder (with an "i"=blend of spices) you used a chile powder (with an "e"=NM chile powder). the latter is definitely bitter. Also, what about the pot you used? Aluminum?
I guessed WNC but just wanted to check. Your apples are a comin' in!!

d005.gif

dftt.gif

Glad You Came,
WELCOME
!!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom