Hello. I'm new.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frank2

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone,
My name is Frank. I just joined the forum and wanted to introduce myself. My interests in food started when I was working as a server in various restaurants in my late teens through mid twenties. Since then I have been experimenting in various food related hobbies, mostly cooking new recipes and baking. In the past few years I've gotten into gardening and especially into hot peppers and herbs. I've just recently started to get interested in preserving the things I grow. So far, I've been learning pickling with the water bath canning method, and plan on purchasing a dehydrator soon to make my own powders from my peppers. Also, I plan on acquiring a pressure canner in the somewhat near future but I don't want to overload myself with new interests all at one time. I look forward to participating in this community that seems to have a wealth of knowledge on everything food and cooking related, and hope that I can add to the richness of the community where I feel confident in doing so.
Frank

Welcome to the forum, Frank, from another pepper lover! How many types of peppers do you have out there this year? I've got 16 varieties this year - first year the peppers came in second to the tomatoes.

Thanks for the welcomes. Dave, I have 11 varieties this year. Mostly all new ones for me except for Jalapenos and Red Bells. I didn't do any super hots because I still have some in the freezer. I can't eat that many at a time!

I'm the opposite, Frank - I have only 2 or 3 new varieties this year - all the rest are must-haves that I have to have every year! I only grew a few of those superhots, one year each time I'd hear a new hottest would come out. I'd try it once, then give the rest to a guy I know at work that makes hot sauce. As much as I love hot, you can't use enough of those in a dish to get flavor - much better to use a lot of milder peppers for the heat. I do have a red savina out there. They were the hottest for many years, before the superhots came on the scene, but they are mild, compared to those. lol

Hi and welcome again to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

I love growing herbs and vegetables, too, and as I mentioned in the other thread, I've been canning for quite a while. I only do refrigerator pickles and water-bath canning, though.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the forum. We look forward to getting to know you.

Welcome! I also grow peppers and herbs, but I have a small yard, so I can only grow a few kinds of peppers. I grow cayenne peppers every year, and this year I also have jalepeñoes and poblanos. We have reached the time of year in North Texas where it is too hot for my peppers to set fruit, but they will go nuts in September.

CD

Back
Top Bottom