Hello - I'm new, a food/cooking/baking enthusiast in London, UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rebecca

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone!

I've just discovered this site and thought it would be great to connect with others who are passionate about food and cooking and swap tips, info or advice.

I've been cooking and baking for a few years. I don't do it professionally, just for pleasure although I have been commissioned to bake cakes for people a couple of times.

I have recently been asked to make a friend's wedding cake which I'm excited about - looking forward to a a new baking challenge!

I have only just started to research this but I'm sure questions will arise. I have found some great sites with plans for making a wedding cake. It would be great to hear others' experiences of this if you have any.

By the way, I'm based in London, UK and one thing that often frustrates/confuses me is the different terminology and measurements used around the world, like cups/ ounces/ grams / American cups / European cups... self-raising / cake flour - or cornstarch / cornflour. Sometimes it's hard to find definitive answers...

Bye for now!

Rebecca
:)

Welcome Rebecca, I'm a newbie also. I found this site when I was looking for a recipe for caramelised balsamic vinegar. Accessed a recipe here from years ago, but I tried it this afternoon and spouse and I ate the result off a spoon... TSK!!. Then tried with my white balsamic vinegar....even better....Like honey.

I'm sure that the site has measurement transfers. If not, any good recipe book will give you the tables these days.

Do you still make lovely fruit cakes for wedding cakes in the UK? For me ... that is the only real "Wedding cake". Our US friends seem stuck on Mud cake and that is becoming popular here in OZ too.
I could give you my grandmother's wedding recipe if you like...have to dig it out from a box as we have just moved to our new house. It's a REAL cake, full of whisky, sherry and such:)

Hello everyone!

By the way, I'm based in London, UK and one thing that often frustrates/confuses me is the different terminology and measurements used around the world, like cups/ ounces/ grams / American cups / European cups... self-raising / cake flour - or cornstarch / cornflour. Sometimes it's hard to find definitive answers...

Bye for now!

Rebecca
The most important thing to know is grilled cheese = cheese toastie

Back
Top Bottom