"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Hello, new here : )

Hello everyone!!!! My name is Melissa and I am happily married to my high school sweetie Jeremy going on one year this June (been together 9 years) and we have 2 beautiful kids together. Isaiah who is 6 years old and Ameerah who is 9 months old. I have been a stay at home mom for about 4 years now. I am the one who cooks dinner everynight and I have fallen into a rut. We have alot of the same stuff all the time and it's pretty hard to find new recipes we all can/will eat. I am a vegetarian, my son and hubby are very picky. Also, I have a big problem with following directions to a recipe. I don't know why I can't do it, but pretty much any new recipe I have tried it turns out very bad. I know one of my problems is....I do not try the food because most of the food I make has meat in it. So I tend to overcook the meat or not put enough seasonings in. That's why I am so glad I found this forum, I am sure I will get alot of helpful tips here.

Isaiahsmom91302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
Senior Cook
"Nothing is worth more than this day." ~ Goethe
JoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:00 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Welcome Melissa,
look around, settle in and ask questions. You will be surprise all the help and ideas that will come your way. You will also get to know some really wonderful people.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Master Chef
welcome, Melissa, I really can't help you on vegetarian dishes but you need to check out Vyapti.....he posted recently a wonderful vegetarian primavera recipe that I'm going to add shrimp and or scallops to when I get back to KZ.........so do check him out and we have other vegetarians as well on this site............don't look and sound so hopeless.......I think you're in need of some good seasonings quite honestly........if you don't like meat don't cook it.........you'll do just fine.........just hang in there......I've been know to throw pie dough across our first apartment..........but the more you practice the better you get.........
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #6
Assistant Cook
Welcome to DC
Chef Ryan is here to help. Just call on me.

Pioneer College Caterers
Assistant Chef and Pasta Saute Chef
Chef Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Head Chef
Welcome, and you present an interesting problem - wish I had a clue. Question - would a wee taste present a problem? Just a bit? Your fork can become a check for doneness if you will help train it! But if you don't basically like the food, tasting for seasoning and such might not help. Focus intently on what you are doing, put everything in place, search for complete recipes - some assume that a word or two will do and you can fill in the blanks - I can't, and follow the recipe exactly! Exactly. But you gotta taste it - just enough to tickle the tongue!
Best of luck
David Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
Hi and welcome! There are a lot of cooking websites with tons of recipes on them...I believe on allrecipes.com you can put in what ingredients you want to cook with and it'll spit out some recipes involving those for you. For meat, get a meat thermometer to check for doneness to take out the guessing work. GL and looking forward to hearing more from you!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #9
Hi there, Welcome to the forum ! Pleased to meet all of you here.it's very nice spot to everyone who has interest in cooking as well as recipes.plenty of chance are here to get great knowledge about recipes with others.

james_crook is offline   Reply With Quote