Originally Posted by professori_au
I am nearly 75 years old and am supposed to be retired. ....
....I had some rookwurst given to me and I was wondering how to prepare it. Can someone please help?
I guess that is enough about me.
I would also like to chat with people
Hi Prof. Sounds like you might want to gain about 10 kilo?
How about making sauerkraut as follows?
- Sautee two diced medium onions in one to two tbs of lard
- Add 1 kilo of weinkraut and 1/4 litre of water
- Add one to two tbs caraway / kummel and or one to two tbs of juniper berries.
- Add three grated apples
- Add two grated medium sized potatoes
- Cook covered over medium heat untill liquid boils gently
- add 1 to 1 1/2 kilo of smoked ham hocks and or some slab bacon
- simmer for about one hour (enough to heat meat through)
- remove meat
- add enough flour 1 1/2 tbs? to thicken broth
- return meat to pot and cook covered for another for 15 to 20 minutes
Take care not to cook over too high a heat or kraut will burn / stick to bottom of pot.
The above concoction tastes best after reheating a day or two or three after being made.. especially when accompanied by a litre or two of hearty beer or ale.
Another endeavor that will tend to cause weight gain is baking of artisan breads. Bread baking is one of my favorite tasks but unfortunately the weight gain side-effect is a problem for me.
Check out this website for a myriad of recipes for chili. I'm certain you'll find several that you'll find appealing and that will provide you with several meals from one cooking. Sounds like you might benefit from the food and companionship you'd experience if you were able to join a cooking club.
Stay well - Bill