"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
And getting those 20 posts is dead easy! I only joined on the weekend and have over 60 already!

I remember those doughnuts! We were friends with a Dutch family and mum got the recipe from them and made them a couple of times. They were yummy. Croatians make something similar which were also yummy. I also remember experiencing a Dutch Christmas meal one year and being confronted with purple food. While purple was, and is, my favourite colour, it was rather offputting as a four-year old! Can't remember what we were served, only the colour.
I made something like that last night they were German Donuts called Berliners or Krapfen its just a yeast dough fried ,filled with jam and covered in powdered sugar.Delicious.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Chefellas
Welcome to dc, Professori au.!!!!!

Old 11-02-2007, 05:13 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I made something like that last night they were German Donuts called Berliners or Krapfen its just a yeast dough fried ,filled with jam and covered in powdered sugar.Delicious.
I remember mum making Berliners too! I love doughnuts but seldom ever have them. Fat and sugar are NOT my friends!!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:21 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori_au View Post
I am nearly 75 years old and am supposed to be retired. ....
....I had some rookwurst given to me and I was wondering how to prepare it. Can someone please help?
I guess that is enough about me.
I would also like to chat with people
thank you.
Hi Prof. Sounds like you might want to gain about 10 kilo?
How about making sauerkraut as follows?
- Sautee two diced medium onions in one to two tbs of lard
- Add 1 kilo of weinkraut and 1/4 litre of water
- Add one to two tbs caraway / kummel and or one to two tbs of juniper berries.
- Add three grated apples
- Add two grated medium sized potatoes
- Cook covered over medium heat untill liquid boils gently
- add 1 to 1 1/2 kilo of smoked ham hocks and or some slab bacon
- simmer for about one hour (enough to heat meat through)
- remove meat
- add enough flour 1 1/2 tbs? to thicken broth
- return meat to pot and cook covered for another for 15 to 20 minutes

Take care not to cook over too high a heat or kraut will burn / stick to bottom of pot.

The above concoction tastes best after reheating a day or two or three after being made.. especially when accompanied by a litre or two of hearty beer or ale.

Another endeavor that will tend to cause weight gain is baking of artisan breads. Bread baking is one of my favorite tasks but unfortunately the weight gain side-effect is a problem for me.

Check out this website for a myriad of recipes for chili. I'm certain you'll find several that you'll find appealing and that will provide you with several meals from one cooking. Sounds like you might benefit from the food and companionship you'd experience if you were able to join a cooking club.

Stay well - Bill
Old 11-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Rookwurst

Hi Folks.

Hi also to just plainbill,

You tempt me and obviously you like your food. Thanks for the recipe. I will try it.

But I don't want to add another 10 kilos. The extra weight would make me suffer as I have a bad back and hips. I need to keep the weight down and the weight I am at present allows me to ignore the pain and also leaves me free to work in my workshop making bits and pieces.

I spend some time there and also at the computer in my work as a community advocate. It certainly keeps me busy.

My daughter came over for a visit yesterday, saying she was concerned I was not feeding myself and she also brought over some prepared meals.

She is a bit like her mother and likes to fuss. I also suspect she thinks that males are unable to look after themselves.

She is a good cook too, although I am not as fond of her type of cooking. She tends to be inclined to vegetarian, whereas I love my meat:)

I also make my own bread, although mostly I make a fruit loaf for the grandchildren. They all love Opa's fruit loaf.

No wonder, I am heavy handed with the sultanas and apricots, rather than those shop bought fruit loaves that the sultanas appear to have been fired into it at a range of 100 yards so the shot spread is too wide to hit the loaf:)

The first thing the grandchildren ask for when they come have you made any fruit loaf?

My wife could also cook indonesian and chinese meals.
She had an aunt who was Indonesian/Dutch and she taught her those sorts of meals. But she always added something special that was her own.

Reading some of thread comments brings memories of other recipes she made.

One favourite was when she was cooking and the children asked her what she was making. She would say "Hoosen". I may not have the spelling correct but I understand it was just a word with no real meaning but meant to wait and see. It used to annoy the children:)

It also might mean that it was a recipe that was developed while she was cooking. She seldom used recipes, saying that if it did not smell nice then it was not nice. Seemed to work for her, as I said before, she was a cook second to none:)
bye for now, catch you again.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

welcome professori!

now that's what i call an introduction!

i hope we can help your daughter fatten you up, and you enjoy our company.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Hi All

Hi All,

I was browsing through the different subjects when I came across one from a lady called something ****girrl. She was asking whether a recipe for oxtail was nice. I went on browsing, intending to come back but as I am just learning browsing threads I lost her request, so probably my comments won't help.
I looked at the recipe and it looked pretty nice to me, but then I used to like oxtail soups or stews when I was younger and before the children came along. However, my children won't eat it as it come from close to the "ox's A...". I have said to them "so what? It comes pre-packaged:)" It is covered with the skin and the cook or butcher will remove it before you cook, so in that case it could be a product from anywhere on the animal.
I would warn you though, it is very rich and delicious and can upset you if you fall to the temptation to gorging and eat too much at one time.
The other question which is on the recipe site is a question "What is it?" :( Unfortunately I am not a cook expert so did not recognise the photo, so will leave an aswer from those who are familiar.

Finally a bit of philosophy. If you don't try then you will never know whether it is nice. In good Aussie parlance Avago (Have a go):) During my life I have encourged a positive attitude to all things in life. A word I dislike is "Can't". Too many people use it as an excuse not to try.
When people say the answer is "no" I then asked "did you ask". In the situation I am describing the answer is usually no. So my next comment is, You have "no" now without trying but if you ask the answer might change to a "yes".

SO TRY THE RECIPE AND PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF IT.

Also as you get to know it and become familiar with each of the items in the recipe and how they work together, you can add your own touch and make it you own:) Good Luck.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Hi Again,

I was considering making a date loaf yesterday and started making it from a recipe. I cooked up very well but I found it inclined to be a little tough but still edible. Also I thought that it might have had too much bi-carbonate of soda. the recipe said 1/2 Teaspoon, but I guess it depends on the size of the teaspoon as I don't have calibrate spoon measures:)

Others seemed to like it but then I consider it needs a little more work on it to satisfy me. I will reduce the bi-carb a bit and see what happens. Aslo I wonder whether a few drops of good olive oil would ake it more moist. Can anyone advise please?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:43 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Possibly. I also add raisins or sultanas to mine. How about the size of your egg? Too small perhaps for the recipe? How accurate were you with your measuring of the liquid component? You could try soaking your dates first. Also did you leave it in the oven too long. How about trying the recipe with self-raising flour instead of plain? It may not have risen enough. A metric teaspoon is 5mL.

Think you might need to post the recipe to get a better response as there are several options. If you go to the forum front page, you will find a sub-forum suitable for your question, and I would suggest creating a new thread there.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:44 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Hi Everyone.

Hi Everyone and also especially to Bilby,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I was careful with my messurements as I am not a cook and know that you don't change ingredients or measurements until you know what you are doing.

It required 1/2 cup of brown sugar. whether that has any influence on the taste I can't be sure Apart from the slight bi-carb taste it was nice.

The amount of water might have changed as the dates absorbed moisture?

The egg size? It might be important but the egg to me appeared average. It is from home grown hens and not laying cage.

The colour of the egg yolk is a deep orange.

RE self raising flour. that is an idea and I will try it.

Dates. The recipe required the dates be finely diced into very small pieces.

As I do when cooking a fruit loaf, I did consider adding sultanas and dried apricots, I am usually fairly heavy handed with the amount of fruit I add. It seems to work as the grandchildren children think Opa's fruit loaf is special. However, I thought I had better see if it worked with this recipe before experimenting.

The water was carefully measured.

The bi-carb was measured 1/2 teaspoon, with a table teaspoon so the variation could be there. I will get a set of measurement spoons as I am beginning to like trying cooking:)

The date loaf rose very well, probaly more than doubling in size.
still trying:)
regards to all