"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:17 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Hello to everyone

I am nearly 75 years old and am supposed to be retired. However, I can at least spell it but never benefitted yet. I like working as a volunteer advocate for the community where a member may be having problems getting some sense out of the bureacracy and need some help.
Although coming from private enterprise, background farmer, engineer, business consultant and in manufacturing, I spent 12 year in the public service as a consultant Employment and Training policy development and in Industrial Relations and Industry training.
My hobbies are woodworking in all of its forms, i.e. carving, turning and making furniture, although I consider myself strictly an amateur.
Cooking? Well my wife was a cook second to none and she spoilt me but she passed away in 2000 and I must now fend for myself.
She was a Dutch girl and typical of Dutch people she did not believe in leaving a blank spot on the plate. when we were first married I told her I could only eat half of what she put on the plate. She took it off, looked at the plate and said you can't live on that much and promptly put it back:). Over the years I gave in an ate whatever she put there, with a result I was 104 kilos when she passed away; now I weigh between 70 and 74 kilos.
However I loved her cooking and would like to try something for myself. I am a little above the burning water stage:)
I had some rookwurst given to me and I was wondering how to prepare it. Can someone please help?
I guess that is enough about me.
I would also like to chat with people
thank you.

professori_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Welcome to DC Professori.This is a great place with great people you will enjoy it here.As for the rookwurst I dont know that is Im guessing sausage. What is it made of?

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer
Welcome to the site. it sure sounds like you keep busy. that is great! I would love to hear about rookwurst as well/
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Welcome to DC...What a great introduction! I look forward to your visits and posts!

Have Fun & Enjoy!
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Rookwurst is a smoked sausage isn't it? Similar to the Polish sausages and the stuff they stick on platters with cheese at parties. Did you get given a home-made one or a store bought one? If it is smoked it should be ready to eat but you should be able to check the packaging for that if store bought. As you are in Australia, you could try checking out the Hans, Dorsogna or Watsonia websites and see what they have to say, if anything. Can't say I have had Rookwurst specifically but the only way I have ever had any of those sausages is cold as a nibblie. If it is more like a chorizio sausage though you could grill it and and to pasta or rice dishes, like paella.

Once opened, I wouldn't let it sit for too long. Some of these sausages are good carriers of bacteria.

What part of Australia are you in? I'm from Perth and am new to the site too.
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:09 AM   #6
Assistant Cook
professori_au Hello to everyone 10-30-2007, 09:17 PM

Hi again,

Thank you all for your welcome.

Rookwurst is a sausage either smoked or plain.

My wife used to cook it with sauerkraut (loosely translated as sour head [cabbage], which is mixed with mashed potatoes and is delicious eaten hot in the winter.

My impression is that similar versions are made in different countries and you may use substitutes such as frankfurts, bratwurst, weisswurst, kransky, cervelat, although my personal taste would suggest that frankfurts are not spicier enough but you could try it.

My wife used to serve it when we had guests and it was served on a platter with cheese, etc. It is very versatile.

As I said I am not a cook, my skills are good enough to avoid burning water. As an exfarmer working behind stock in camps I have cooked meat on the campfire, baked vegetables in the hot ashes, cooked dampers, etc, so I would survive.

I seem to be able to man the BBQ to everyone's satisfaction; but then after a fews beers anyone is a good cook:)

I am not sure whether it is allowed to show the url to my personal web site. It would tell you a lot more about our family, my wife and myself, including with our hobbies of writing and my woodwork projects, etc.

Maybe I should include recipes. I wonder how you show burnt water:)

It would easier to read than long homilies here:)
If I write too much you will think "Oh that gabby old ancient"

When I married I kept out of the kitchen; much safer that way:) That was Katje's domain. Katje means Kitten and was the name our friends gave her because she loved cats. Me! probably male chauvenistic pig:) At least that was what she called me one time and I agreed with her.
She lost one of her favourite cats and just wanted a replacement for her. I said no you have enough, (she already had three others) so I became a male etc.:)

I knew she was upset with the loss and knew what I wanted to get for her as a surprise.

Eventually there was an ad in the paper for Burmese cats to a good home. She had always admired them. I told her she had better ring up about them. She was wrapped at that idea and promised never to call me that again:) She didn't. Instead she used the acronym for it:)

Anyway back to the rookwurst. The ones I had been given were from a Dutch friend who told me to prick the package and boil them for approximately 20 minutes, then slice them.

I was looking for something more for a meal, so will probably make up some sauerkraut, potatoes and rookwurst. See how I go and move on to something more ambitious.

The following are some of Dutch recipes that I remember her cooking.

Zuurkoolstamppot - Sauerkraut (pickled cabbage) with mashed potatoes. served with sausage or bacon, and sometimes flavored with curry powder, raisins or pineapple.

Boerenkoolstamppot - A stew made with potato and kale. It is served with gravy and rookwurst (Dutch spicy sausage).

There are lots of others which no doubt will come to mind.

One sweet she made (a type of doughnut) is still very popular and even I can make it.

It is called Oliebollen - The Dutch version of donuts made by deep-frying dough, allowing it to cool and rise, and covering with powdered sugar. They are eaten at fairs, and during the Christmas period, especially around New Year.

It loosely translates as Oil Balls although our children translated it as "Elephant Balls" :)

It is a dangerous sweet as once you start eating you can't stop. No wonder so many Dutchmen are big men (and women too).

You ask where I come from.
I live in Geelong Victoria now.

Well here endeth the sermon:)

Hope you found it useful.

If the next question is do I speak Dutch. The answer is no but I can understand a lot of it providing it is not spoken too quickly.

My language ability covers two languages.... Good and bad English.

I know words in Dutch, Italian and a little Greek but not fluently and certainly not to speak it, although I would love to be able to. My understanding of Dutch has slipped since my wife's passing as I have become involved with community advocacy. I need to get back into speaking with Dutch people. The problem there most of them prefer to speak in English when I am there. I have told them how can I expect to learn if they don't speak it, so my visits are now a combination of dutch and English.

I get along well with them as they are pigheaded and stubborn and as I have a Scottish/Irish background I am also pig headed and stubborn:)
well bye for now.
regards Prof.
professori_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Welcome to Discuss Cooking!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:45 AM   #8
Head Chef
Hi Professor - welcome to DC - after 20 posts you can then include urls to you place and others. Look forward to being able to click into your site. Sorry about your loss, you clearly loved the lady and life with her. As to cooking - sounds like you aren't afraid of it so the only thing to do is to do it. Recreating some of the family favorites should keep you busy for a time. I do believe there are other members in Australia who should be able to help also! Remember - 20 posts and then let us have that url!
David Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 AM   #9
Executive Chef
And getting those 20 posts is dead easy! I only joined on the weekend and have over 60 already!

I remember those doughnuts! We were friends with a Dutch family and mum got the recipe from them and made them a couple of times. They were yummy. Croatians make something similar which were also yummy. I also remember experiencing a Dutch Christmas meal one year and being confronted with purple food. While purple was, and is, my favourite colour, it was rather offputting as a four-year old! Can't remember what we were served, only the colour.
Too many restaurants, not enough time...
Bilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:03 AM   #10
Sous Chef
Welcome Welcome, you will soon become hooked on the site :)

Rom is offline   Reply With Quote