Hello to everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

professori_au

Assistant Cook
I am nearly 75 years old and am supposed to be retired. However, I can at least spell it but never benefitted yet. I like working as a volunteer advocate for the community where a member may be having problems getting some sense out of the bureacracy and need some help.
Although coming from private enterprise, background farmer, engineer, business consultant and in manufacturing, I spent 12 year in the public service as a consultant Employment and Training policy development and in Industrial Relations and Industry training.
My hobbies are woodworking in all of its forms, i.e. carving, turning and making furniture, although I consider myself strictly an amateur.
Cooking? Well my wife was a cook second to none and she spoilt me but she passed away in 2000 and I must now fend for myself.
She was a Dutch girl and typical of Dutch people she did not believe in leaving a blank spot on the plate. when we were first married I told her I could only eat half of what she put on the plate. She took it off, looked at the plate and said you can't live on that much and promptly put it back:). Over the years I gave in an ate whatever she put there, with a result I was 104 kilos when she passed away; now I weigh between 70 and 74 kilos.
However I loved her cooking and would like to try something for myself. I am a little above the burning water stage:)
I had some rookwurst given to me and I was wondering how to prepare it. Can someone please help?
I guess that is enough about me.
I would also like to chat with people
thank you.

Last edited:
:)Welcome to DC Professori.This is a great place with great people you will enjoy it here.As for the rookwurst I dont know that is Im guessing sausage. What is it made of?

Welcome to the site. it sure sounds like you keep busy. that is great! I would love to hear about rookwurst as well/

Rookwurst is a smoked sausage isn't it? Similar to the Polish sausages and the stuff they stick on platters with cheese at parties. Did you get given a home-made one or a store bought one? If it is smoked it should be ready to eat but you should be able to check the packaging for that if store bought. As you are in Australia, you could try checking out the Hans, Dorsogna or Watsonia websites and see what they have to say, if anything. Can't say I have had Rookwurst specifically but the only way I have ever had any of those sausages is cold as a nibblie. If it is more like a chorizio sausage though you could grill it and and to pasta or rice dishes, like paella.

Once opened, I wouldn't let it sit for too long. Some of these sausages are good carriers of bacteria.

What part of Australia are you in? I'm from Perth and am new to the site too.

professori_au Hello to everyone 10-30-2007, 09:17 PM

Hi again,

Thank you all for your welcome.

Rookwurst is a sausage either smoked or plain.

My wife used to cook it with sauerkraut (loosely translated as sour head [cabbage], which is mixed with mashed potatoes and is delicious eaten hot in the winter.

My impression is that similar versions are made in different countries and you may use substitutes such as frankfurts, bratwurst, weisswurst, kransky, cervelat, although my personal taste would suggest that frankfurts are not spicier enough but you could try it.

My wife used to serve it when we had guests and it was served on a platter with cheese, etc. It is very versatile.

As I said I am not a cook, my skills are good enough to avoid burning water. As an exfarmer working behind stock in camps I have cooked meat on the campfire, baked vegetables in the hot ashes, cooked dampers, etc, so I would survive.

I seem to be able to man the BBQ to everyone's satisfaction; but then after a fews beers anyone is a good cook:)

I am not sure whether it is allowed to show the url to my personal web site. It would tell you a lot more about our family, my wife and myself, including with our hobbies of writing and my woodwork projects, etc.

Maybe I should include recipes. I wonder how you show burnt water:)

It would easier to read than long homilies here:)
If I write too much you will think "Oh that gabby old ancient"

When I married I kept out of the kitchen; much safer that way:) That was Katje's domain. Katje means Kitten and was the name our friends gave her because she loved cats. Me! probably male chauvenistic pig:) At least that was what she called me one time and I agreed with her.
She lost one of her favourite cats and just wanted a replacement for her. I said no you have enough, (she already had three others) so I became a male etc.:)

I knew she was upset with the loss and knew what I wanted to get for her as a surprise.

Eventually there was an ad in the paper for Burmese cats to a good home. She had always admired them. I told her she had better ring up about them. She was wrapped at that idea and promised never to call me that again:) She didn't. Instead she used the acronym for it:)

Anyway back to the rookwurst. The ones I had been given were from a Dutch friend who told me to prick the package and boil them for approximately 20 minutes, then slice them.

I was looking for something more for a meal, so will probably make up some sauerkraut, potatoes and rookwurst. See how I go and move on to something more ambitious.

The following are some of Dutch recipes that I remember her cooking.

Zuurkoolstamppot - Sauerkraut (pickled cabbage) with mashed potatoes. served with sausage or bacon, and sometimes flavored with curry powder, raisins or pineapple.

Boerenkoolstamppot - A stew made with potato and kale. It is served with gravy and rookwurst (Dutch spicy sausage).

There are lots of others which no doubt will come to mind.

One sweet she made (a type of doughnut) is still very popular and even I can make it.

It is called Oliebollen - The Dutch version of donuts made by deep-frying dough, allowing it to cool and rise, and covering with powdered sugar. They are eaten at fairs, and during the Christmas period, especially around New Year.

It loosely translates as Oil Balls although our children translated it as "Elephant Balls" :)

It is a dangerous sweet as once you start eating you can't stop. No wonder so many Dutchmen are big men (and women too).

You ask where I come from.
I live in Geelong Victoria now.

Well here endeth the sermon:)

Hope you found it useful.

If the next question is do I speak Dutch. The answer is no but I can understand a lot of it providing it is not spoken too quickly.

My language ability covers two languages.... Good and bad English.

I know words in Dutch, Italian and a little Greek but not fluently and certainly not to speak it, although I would love to be able to. My understanding of Dutch has slipped since my wife's passing as I have become involved with community advocacy. I need to get back into speaking with Dutch people. The problem there most of them prefer to speak in English when I am there. I have told them how can I expect to learn if they don't speak it, so my visits are now a combination of dutch and English.

I get along well with them as they are pigheaded and stubborn and as I have a Scottish/Irish background I am also pig headed and stubborn:)
well bye for now.
regards Prof.

Hi Professor - welcome to DC - after 20 posts you can then include urls to you place and others. Look forward to being able to click into your site. Sorry about your loss, you clearly loved the lady and life with her. As to cooking - sounds like you aren't afraid of it so the only thing to do is to do it. Recreating some of the family favorites should keep you busy for a time. I do believe there are other members in Australia who should be able to help also! Remember - 20 posts and then let us have that url!

And getting those 20 posts is dead easy! I only joined on the weekend and have over 60 already!

I remember those doughnuts! We were friends with a Dutch family and mum got the recipe from them and made them a couple of times. They were yummy. Croatians make something similar which were also yummy. I also remember experiencing a Dutch Christmas meal one year and being confronted with purple food. While purple was, and is, my favourite colour, it was rather offputting as a four-year old! Can't remember what we were served, only the colour.

And getting those 20 posts is dead easy! I only joined on the weekend and have over 60 already!

I remember those doughnuts! We were friends with a Dutch family and mum got the recipe from them and made them a couple of times. They were yummy. Croatians make something similar which were also yummy. I also remember experiencing a Dutch Christmas meal one year and being confronted with purple food. While purple was, and is, my favourite colour, it was rather offputting as a four-year old! Can't remember what we were served, only the colour.
:)I made something like that last night they were German Donuts called Berliners or Krapfen its just a yeast dough fried ,filled with jam and covered in powdered sugar.Delicious.

:)I made something like that last night they were German Donuts called Berliners or Krapfen its just a yeast dough fried ,filled with jam and covered in powdered sugar.Delicious.
I remember mum making Berliners too! I love doughnuts but seldom ever have them. Fat and sugar are NOT my friends!!:LOL:

I am nearly 75 years old and am supposed to be retired. ....
....I had some rookwurst given to me and I was wondering how to prepare it. Can someone please help?
I guess that is enough about me.
I would also like to chat with people
thank you.

Hi Prof. Sounds like you might want to gain about 10 kilo?
How about making sauerkraut as follows?
- Sautee two diced medium onions in one to two tbs of lard
- Add 1 kilo of weinkraut and 1/4 litre of water
- Add one to two tbs caraway / kummel and or one to two tbs of juniper berries.
- Add three grated apples
- Add two grated medium sized potatoes
- Cook covered over medium heat untill liquid boils gently
- add 1 to 1 1/2 kilo of smoked ham hocks and or some slab bacon
- simmer for about one hour (enough to heat meat through)
- remove meat
- add enough flour 1 1/2 tbs? to thicken broth
- return meat to pot and cook covered for another for 15 to 20 minutes

Take care not to cook over too high a heat or kraut will burn / stick to bottom of pot.

The above concoction tastes best after reheating a day or two or three after being made.. especially when accompanied by a litre or two of hearty beer or ale.

Another endeavor that will tend to cause weight gain is baking of artisan breads. Bread baking is one of my favorite tasks but unfortunately the weight gain side-effect is a problem for me.

Check out this website for a myriad of recipes for chili. I'm certain you'll find several that you'll find appealing and that will provide you with several meals from one cooking. Sounds like you might benefit from the food and companionship you'd experience if you were able to join a cooking club.

Stay well - Bill

Last edited:
Rookwurst

Hi Folks.

Hi also to just plainbill,

You tempt me and obviously you like your food. Thanks for the recipe. I will try it.

But I don't want to add another 10 kilos. The extra weight would make me suffer as I have a bad back and hips. I need to keep the weight down and the weight I am at present allows me to ignore the pain and also leaves me free to work in my workshop making bits and pieces.

I spend some time there and also at the computer in my work as a community advocate. It certainly keeps me busy.

My daughter came over for a visit yesterday, saying she was concerned I was not feeding myself and she also brought over some prepared meals.

She is a bit like her mother and likes to fuss. I also suspect she thinks that males are unable to look after themselves.

She is a good cook too, although I am not as fond of her type of cooking. She tends to be inclined to vegetarian, whereas I love my meat:)

I also make my own bread, although mostly I make a fruit loaf for the grandchildren. They all love Opa's fruit loaf.

No wonder, I am heavy handed with the sultanas and apricots, rather than those shop bought fruit loaves that the sultanas appear to have been fired into it at a range of 100 yards so the shot spread is too wide to hit the loaf:)

The first thing the grandchildren ask for when they come have you made any fruit loaf?

My wife could also cook indonesian and chinese meals.
She had an aunt who was Indonesian/Dutch and she taught her those sorts of meals. But she always added something special that was her own.

Reading some of thread comments brings memories of other recipes she made.

One favourite was when she was cooking and the children asked her what she was making. She would say "Hoosen". I may not have the spelling correct but I understand it was just a word with no real meaning but meant to wait and see. It used to annoy the children:)

It also might mean that it was a recipe that was developed while she was cooking. She seldom used recipes, saying that if it did not smell nice then it was not nice. Seemed to work for her, as I said before, she was a cook second to none:)
bye for now, catch you again.

welcome professori!

now that's what i call an introduction!

i hope we can help your daughter fatten you up, and you enjoy our company.

Hi All

Hi All,

I was browsing through the different subjects when I came across one from a lady called something ****girrl. She was asking whether a recipe for oxtail was nice. I went on browsing, intending to come back but as I am just learning browsing threads I lost her request, so probably my comments won't help.
I looked at the recipe and it looked pretty nice to me, but then I used to like oxtail soups or stews when I was younger and before the children came along. However, my children won't eat it as it come from close to the "ox's A...". I have said to them "so what? It comes pre-packaged:)" It is covered with the skin and the cook or butcher will remove it before you cook, so in that case it could be a product from anywhere on the animal.
I would warn you though, it is very rich and delicious and can upset you if you fall to the temptation to gorging and eat too much at one time.
The other question which is on the recipe site is a question "What is it?" :( Unfortunately I am not a cook expert so did not recognise the photo, so will leave an aswer from those who are familiar.

Finally a bit of philosophy. If you don't try then you will never know whether it is nice. In good Aussie parlance Avago (Have a go):) During my life I have encourged a positive attitude to all things in life. A word I dislike is "Can't". Too many people use it as an excuse not to try.
When people say the answer is "no" I then asked "did you ask". In the situation I am describing the answer is usually no. So my next comment is, You have "no" now without trying but if you ask the answer might change to a "yes".

SO TRY THE RECIPE AND PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF IT.

Also as you get to know it and become familiar with each of the items in the recipe and how they work together, you can add your own touch and make it you own:) Good Luck.

Last edited:
Hi Again,

I was considering making a date loaf yesterday and started making it from a recipe. I cooked up very well but I found it inclined to be a little tough but still edible. Also I thought that it might have had too much bi-carbonate of soda. the recipe said 1/2 Teaspoon, but I guess it depends on the size of the teaspoon as I don't have calibrate spoon measures:)

Others seemed to like it but then I consider it needs a little more work on it to satisfy me. I will reduce the bi-carb a bit and see what happens. Aslo I wonder whether a few drops of good olive oil would ake it more moist. Can anyone advise please?

Possibly. I also add raisins or sultanas to mine. How about the size of your egg? Too small perhaps for the recipe? How accurate were you with your measuring of the liquid component? You could try soaking your dates first. Also did you leave it in the oven too long. How about trying the recipe with self-raising flour instead of plain? It may not have risen enough. A metric teaspoon is 5mL.

Think you might need to post the recipe to get a better response as there are several options. If you go to the forum front page, you will find a sub-forum suitable for your question, and I would suggest creating a new thread there.

Hi Everyone.

Hi Everyone and also especially to Bilby,

Thank you for your suggestions.

I was careful with my messurements as I am not a cook and know that you don't change ingredients or measurements until you know what you are doing.

It required 1/2 cup of brown sugar. whether that has any influence on the taste I can't be sure Apart from the slight bi-carb taste it was nice.

The amount of water might have changed as the dates absorbed moisture?

The egg size? It might be important but the egg to me appeared average. It is from home grown hens and not laying cage.

The colour of the egg yolk is a deep orange.

RE self raising flour. that is an idea and I will try it.

Dates. The recipe required the dates be finely diced into very small pieces.

As I do when cooking a fruit loaf, I did consider adding sultanas and dried apricots, I am usually fairly heavy handed with the amount of fruit I add. It seems to work as the grandchildren children think Opa's fruit loaf is special. However, I thought I had better see if it worked with this recipe before experimenting.

The water was carefully measured.

The bi-carb was measured 1/2 teaspoon, with a table teaspoon so the variation could be there. I will get a set of measurement spoons as I am beginning to like trying cooking:)

The date loaf rose very well, probaly more than doubling in size.
still trying:)
regards to all

Back
Top Bottom