Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ronnie31

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I am new, and was wondering whether someone can help me. I am helping a friend with her husbands 40th party tomorrow !!!! ( I know), and they want roast potato's. I have the chafing dishes to keep the potato's hot while on the buffet table, but I am unsure of how to prepare them without having a last minute dash - or without them going funny. I was thinking of par boiling them, then roasting them, and leaving them to cool and to re- heat them later before the buffet - is that a safe option, or would I be best to par boil them, and leave them in a oven for a couple of hours to cook - and then bring them out before going to the party, and putting them in the chafing dishes ready to be served!!! any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance - Vx

Hi, Vx. I think your first suggestion would work best. If you cool the potatoes completely, there will be no problem. If you cook them for a couple of hours, the skins will be overcooked and tough.

HTH.

How are you going to prepare them? Are you leaving them whole with skin on? Are you cutting them into pieces with eh skin on. Are you peeling them and then cutting them up? Also, what texture are you shooting for? Do you want a soft potato with some (perhaps with liquid) or do you want a dry potato with a browned crispy/crunchy outer crust?

I agree..I would re-heat them under a broiler for a few minutes. Baste them with butter and they should brown up nicely in just a few minutes.

I would use olive oil instead of butter, since it has a higher smoking point and you're putting them under the broiler.

Back
Top Bottom