"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Help, help, please, with my sauces...

I am a total Newbie here who has been lurking and learning from helpful people on this forum for more than a year. I can't remember having posted before, since I have felt (am!) intimidated in the presence of so many Senior Chefs, Master Chefs, professional trained and qualified culinary artisans. But they are generally helpful people, so here goes...

My sauces are a disaster! They often wreck the meal. As a last resort, I have been known to open a can of cream soup, usually mushroom, add that in, and hope that it won't be too harshly remarked on.

I have got to the point of being able to make a fairly smooth roux. But my roux (what is the plural of that?) are thick like flour, fat like butter, and a bit overspiced. They threaten to put an end to my cardiac function. I have decided to forget roux: they have killed too many enthusiastic eaters.

Tonight's supper offering, for instance, will be Italian hot sausage, chunked up not too small with similarly-sized pieces of new and crisp zucchini. These, done in a hot wok, with some halved cherry tomatoes thrown in after a while to add some wetness and sharpness to the flavour. On the side, small new potatoes (I dug them this morning) boiled for not too long with some strong mint leaves which we grow here.

Cream of Mushroom soup as a glooper? Oh Lord, I hope not!

At the age of seventy-six, just now I have the time to pay some attention to the quality of what we're eating. Any input from helpful people with this would be much appreciated. Thankyou Sir, Thankyou Madam.

Peter P.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Get the book "Sauces" by James Peterson. It's a great book to learn the basics and fundamentals of sauce making.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
I have got to the point of being able to make a fairly smooth roux. But my roux (what is the plural of that?) are thick like flour, fat like butter, and a bit overspiced. They threaten to put an end to my cardiac function. I have decided to forget roux: they have killed too many enthusiastic eaters.
Sounds like you just need to proportion the milk properly. Don't give up...keep experimenting !!!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #4
Executive Chef

For the sausage dinner, a parmesan cream sauce would go well.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:02 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt View Post
Sounds like you just need to proportion the milk properly. Don't give up...keep experimenting !!!
ditto on the milk - sounds like not enough!

Also, what you are cooking this evening sounds like it doesn't need a sauce!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Many thanks to bowlingshirt, to ironchef, to Jeekinz, and to The Administrator for their advice and encouragement. That sausage supper was more or less well received. Thereare less than usual left-overs. The sauces will get better. You are very generous people and I celebrate being here...