Help!!! Thawing Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

panicmom

Assistant Cook
I wanted to let my turkey thaw for a few hours on the counter but it was left out for at least 6 hours!!!! Can I still safely eat it???

How Many pounds is the turkey? Is it still very cold to the touch?

Just what I was going to ask...I see you're in Philly...is your kitchen cold and is your turkey cold and still hard?

I did some looking around online and found this over at the honeysuckle turkey site:

I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to leave the turkey on the counter to thaw. Will it be okay to use?
Next time, thaw turkey the safe way: in the refrigerator. For now, if the turkey is still cold to the touch and smells fine, your risk is probably small. Be sure to cook it properly and to the correct internal temperature (use a meat thermometer to determine doneness).​

I basically agree with this. If the turkey were still cold to the touch, I would likely cook the turkey - but NOT stuffed and making extra sure that it cooks fully to temp. Before cooking wash the bird inside and out and cook it using a higher temp method - no slow cooking.

If the bird got up to room temp I would go to the store and get another. You can thaw in the sink in cold water in about 4 hours for a medium size bird - you still have time.

Last edited:
It was kind of cool. 19-20 pounds. The juices were cold (it leaked as I picked it up!). I really hope it's ok. Thanks for the replies!!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

It was kind of cool. 19-20 pounds. The juices were cold (it leaked as I picked it up!). I really hope it's ok. Thanks for the replies!!

I love holidays. We get a lot of new members asking questions.

Welcome to DC panicmom. You dinner is going to be just fine. Get it in the fridge fast and use that thermometer. Happy eats! :angel:

It's been thawing since Sunday afternoon. I just thought a few hours out of the fridge couldn't hurt the process. I was at work......just thought that the family would have put it back. Ugh!!!!! Wish me luck!

Its fine. Roast to the temperature specified and enjoy.
We should think back to times before there was such a thing as refrigeration.
They survived (mostly) and so will you.

Back
Top Bottom