HELP..used dried beans vs canned in slow cooker recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lcpv

Assistant Cook
Hello..any suggestions for this. Just put together a large veggie chili recipe in my slow cooker full of great veggies and beans. Unfortunatley, it called for 4 x 15 cans of beans but I missed the "cans" part!! I DID think it was odd to use dried beans without overnight soaking...but somehow did it anyway. ANY IDEAS on how to save this...I have 6 quarts on LOW right now (11 AM, SAT JUNE 15)...maybe just let it go, add tom juice along the way and plan on stove top cooking later?? THANKS:wacko:

There ya go. Double your liquid and plan on eating it tomorrow.
Really, I have no idea. I'm curious how things work out though.

Don't add the tomato juice until the beans are almost done. Acidic ingredients will toughen dried beans if added too early.

Thanks so much...to compensate for the added liquid, I guess I should add more seasonings either now or a little later...you agree?

Thanks so much...to compensate for the added liquid, I guess I should add more seasonings either now or a little later...you agree?

I wouldn't add any more seasoning until the beans are done. Then season to taste. My rule of thumb is 4 cups of water per pound of dry beans. Here is an authoritative guide to cooking beans.

Definitely don't add salt until ready to serve. As the liquid is absorbed and evaporates, if you salt to taste early in the process, the result will be much too salty by the end.:(

Back
Top Bottom