"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 04-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Here to learn

Hi everyone! Just here to learn new techniques, recipes, etc. Love to cook, have had some catering experience, restaurant experience (in the kitchen and serving) and am the "family cook"...which means everyone calls me when they want to make something, when they need a cook for a special occasion, etc. Have an Italian background so I hold in my head alot of "old" recipes from my Nana who never wrote anything down (but I did when she cooked thankfully). I get excited about cooking and love to watch people eat my food. Hopefully, I'll learn alot from the rest of you and maybe be able to teach a few. Cooking is a learning experience and even the best chefs are always learning something new.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi nofifi,
you've picked the perfect place to share your knowledge and maybe pick up some recipes form some of the wonderful people here at DC..Welcome to our little group.

kadesma

Old 04-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thank you for the warm welcome Kadesma!!
Old 04-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Welcome to the forum!

I love Italian food - I hope you'll share some of your family recipes. They're not a secret are they?
Old 04-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Nah, I don't believe in having "secret" recipes...if someone enjoys it, let them make it for themselves at their home. I hate when people say that they can't give their recipe because it's a "secret"...any good cook/chef can usually figure it out, lol. The only time that I feel a recipe should be secret is if a professional chef invents a certain dish. Sometimes a professional will tell you how to make it but they always leave just alittle something out, lol, but I feel privledged that they even shared part of it with me.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

That's great to hear. I'd love to try out some of your recipes so I hope you'll post them.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofifi
Nah, I don't believe in having "secret" recipes...if someone enjoys it, let them make it for themselves at their home. I hate when people say that they can't give their recipe because it's a "secret"...any good cook/chef can usually figure it out, lol. The only time that I feel a recipe should be secret is if a professional chef invents a certain dish. Sometimes a professional will tell you how to make it but they always leave just alittle something out, lol, but I feel privledged that they even shared part of it with me.
I agree completely! I have always thought secret family recipes were silly. I would rather think that my recipe was going to live on in lots of families than to just die off if my daughter didn't have the same interest in cooking that I have. Welcome to DC!

Barbara
Old 04-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #8
Sous Chef

nofifi, Welcome. Looking forward to your posts. Recipes should be shared...and enjoyed
Old 04-13-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome aboard!