How about a pasta carbonara? That wouldn't take long. Serve it with a salad. The salad can be ready and the vinaigrette could be ready to whisk in the oil right before tossing with the salad. A home made cake for dessert could be made earlier in the day or a day ahead.
Here's my carbonara recipe for two:
- 4 medium scallions/green onions, sliced in thin rounds, including the green part
- 4 ozs of bacon (~ 4 slices) fried and crumbled
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup sour cream, creme fraiche, yoghurt, or heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 4 tblsps (1/4 cup) grated parmesan
- 1 tlbsp fresh or 1 tsp dried basil
- 4 ozs pasta, I prefer fusilli for this because it really holds the sauce.
Fry the bacon and slice the scallions ahead of time. Grate the parmesan too.
- When ready to serve, start the pasta in lots of boiling water. Cook al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, whisk the eggs with the wine, and yoghurt or cream.
- Stir in the parmesan and basil.
- Put a collander in the sink.
- When the pasta is al dente, drain it.
- Return it to the pot over the lowest possible heat.
- Add the sauce, scallions, and bacon to the pasta.
- Toss until the sauce has thickened.