Hey everybody

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sherrielynn001

Assistant Cook
I'm new here i just wanted to find some good southern recipes! I just tried rutabagars for the first time and I'm trying to cook them right now but i'm not really sure what to season them with. Anybody Know?

Hi and welcome to DC. Sorry I can't help you with your question, I have never eaten or cooked a rutabagar in my life. But I am sure one of our members will be able to help you.:)

Hi, sherrie. Welcome to DC. We're glad to have you.

As for your rutabaga question, these vegetables are a cousin to the turnip and can be cooked much the same as turnips are cooked.

Rutabagas should be peeled before cooking and when you are cutting them for slice or dices, be careful because they are quite tough. Make sure you have a nice sturdy knife that is very sharp.

Rutabagas, like turnips, are used often in soups and stews. You can also add some chopped rutabaga with your potatoes when you boil them for mashed potatoes. Just mash the rutabagas in with the potatoes.

A quick side dish might be to dice the veggie into cubes, saute in some butter, olive oil and garlic. When it's tender you can mash it until it's smooth or to the consistency you desire.

It can also be cooked with a ham hock and cabbage.

There are more ways and I'm sure you'll get more answers from our wonderful, knowledgeable members.

Hi and welcome to DC! I just adore Rutabagas! I sub them for turnips in soups/stews and I roast them with other root veggies. Toss in EVOO, S&P, and any other seasoning you like and roast on baking sheet at 400.

Back
Top Bottom