"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Hey, Y'all!

I'm Jess from Georgia. I'm 29, and a housewife. Hubby teaches history. A little over a year ago, I was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure. Since then, I've taken on cooking as a challenge--making healthy, tasty meals that are also low sodium.

I used to be extremely picky too. But I got really tired of eating the same food all the time, so now I'm branching out and trying new things. I tried BEETS last week--and loved them.

I have always loved cooking--I used to "help" my grandmother in the kitchen when I was still small enough to need a step stool and I thought wearing an apron was a huge deal. So she put my very own one in the laundry room and I was the only one that got to wear it. (I think it grazed my ankles)

My mom never let me be very adventurous. I think I got a lot of my pickiness from her. But hubby is very adventurous and loves that I want to try new things. I'd like to move to Louisiana for about a year or so and learn real cajun cooking.

So yeah--I guess thats it for now. Any questions, just ask.

Happy Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Welcome to DC, Jess. I love beets too and learned much from my grandmother. In December, I made a roasted beet and fresh orange salad. Basically, I roasted my beets after peeling and slicing them, then layered them with fresh orange slices. A sprinkle of balsamic dressing, fresh pepper and crumbled goat cheese. It was wonderful! Plus, it was so colorful and just pretty.

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
welcome, you will like it here.
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Head Chef
Welcome to DC

Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is offline   Reply With Quote