"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
Everymom

Hi all!

Not a newbie, but a terrible absentee. Thought Iíd just give everyone a little update and then try to visit more often.

Both my girls grew up and moved out last summer. Hard but I survived and began to remember how much fun it is to just be a couple again. Had to relearn how to shop and cook for two. Much cheaper! Kate is working at the university as a Regulator. Which basically means they pay her to monitor the folks doing cardiac research and make sure they do it properly. I told her sheís now a professional nag. 😆 Maddie finished 3 years of her science degree here and got accepted to Vet school in Saskatoon. Thatís a pretty big deal as they only take a few students from Alberta. Sheís in her second year there now and is doing well. She came home to work at a vet clinic here over the summer so I had to shift gears AGAIN when she left. Dang it I hate that goodbye.

Ken is happily working at CBC as a relief, he works about 3/4 time and then has some time to putter around here. He built me some beautiful planter boxes this spring (12x4) and weíre experimenting with what works well. Cucumber, beans and spinach are a yes, radishes and carrots a weirdly a no.

Our beloved Murray passed October 2016 and Georgie the maniac joined our family in July of 2017. I said I wanted a mixed breed, medium sized dog so that we would have her longer than our Goldens. 9 years is too short a lifespan. Well, what we THOUGHT was a shepherd/retriever cross turns out to be a St Bernard mix, possibly Rottweiler in there. Sigh. Sheís a pony. 86lbs at 18 months and the vet tells me sheís about to start putting on her adult weight. Gulp. How big is she going to be??? Time will tell I guess.

As for me, I went back to full time work a while ago, and for the last 4 years Iíve been leading my team. Itís been a challenge trying to balance everything and so sadly, you folks were one of the bits that I let slide. I think Iíve found a balance in life again and Iím starting to get back to the kitchen for fun and not just necessity. I also started getting myself more active and fit about 2 years ago, and a good thing I did! Had a little scare last May with some random pancreatitis. Didnít realize quite how bad it was til afterwards. Fortunately, Iíd been getting in shape so it didnít knock me out of the game, just sidelined me for a bit. Iím a mystery, they canít figure out what caused it, so I donít know what to avoid. I just listen to my body and if I get a twinge, I LISTEN! Saddest bit for me is that coffee is not tolerated at all. Stupid pancreas. Iím a tea girl now, but oh boy do I miss my coffee. Ken has picked up the slack for me there.

Missed you all and look forward to catching up. Post a little note about the last oh...5 years or so and bring me up to speed.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Everymom

Oh, and it turns out that my lemon addiction is excellent for pancreatic stuff. Who knew? Costco sells me a LOT of lemons!

Old 08-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Alix, it's great to have you back! Not much changed here except our grandson is now 11 YO and moving up to middle school next week (6th grade).
Old 08-30-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
Everymom

11?! Yikes! Great age though. Bet youíre having fun.

Want a scrabble game sometime?
Old 08-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I started a new game. It's your move. :)
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Welcome back Alix! I'm glad you are back. My youngest moved out in 2014, all out of the nest. Then middle moved back in 2016. He's helpful on the heavy lifting and the heavy eating. We still have big gardens, do lots of canning, DH retired. I started making cheese 2 years ago. We're always changing, learning something.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Awesome, Alix! Great to have you back. We're still havin' fun and have added a number of new DC family members.

Glenn and I are doing well and I find it amazing that as of this last June, Buck has been gone 10 years. Where does the time go?!
Old 08-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Hello, Stranger! Glad to see you around again, Alix. After our encounter in the "Gingerbread" thread, I was wondering how things are going with your family. Glad to see you're settling into a new routine. Good luck with your new "puppy".

"Stuff" is still pretty much status quo with us. Still in MA, kids both still in OH. Getting old and creaky and making it harder to move from here to there. I'm thinking of selling the house completely furnished. If Himself is sitting in his recliner, I might even throw him in as a bonus - no extra charge.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #9
Master Chef

Welcome Back!!!!
Old 08-30-2018, 02:47 PM   #10
Head Chef

Welcome back Alix.
You have been missed .

That empty nest is hard a first, but gets better.

Josie