Hi all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cosmo254

Assistant Cook
I just ran across this site and thought I'd join and check out all the great recipes . I'm not a very good cook because for the past 40 years my husband has done all the cooking (he retired early and loves to cook). But a couple of years ago he got cancer and doesn't have the energy to cook anymore so I am once again doing all the cooking.

I love the chuck roast I remember my mom making when I was young and I also remember in the early 60s that Knotts Berry Farm cooked a roast that tasted exactly the same. My mom past away when I was 18 and Knotts Berry Farm doesn't list the roast anymore and I really would like to know how this simple but tasty chuck roast was made. If anyone can help me out with this I'd be very grateful. I know a chuck roast is used and I know my mom use to poke holes all over it and insert garlic pieces. Other then that I don't know how she got that great, simple, taste.

Thanks again,

I hope someone here knows about the roast. I don't, but wanted to welcome you. So glad you are here. :)

I don't know either, but I too wanted to welcome you to DC! Try a DC search, go to Meats and type in pot roast or chuck roast.

hello cosmo, and welcome to dc.:) beef chuck roast is a richly flavorful cut of meat. most everyone i knew in the early 1960s was cooking chuck roasts something along these lines: like you said, the meat was poked full of holes all over. garlic cloves were inserted here and there in the meat, or else garlic powder was rubbed over the surface of the roast, along with some salt and pepper. the roast was drenched with italian salad dressing, most likely kraft brand, and left to marinate for at least 20 minutes. this allowed you time to peel some medium potatoes which were sliced in half and placed in the pan, surrounding the roast. it was a simple and easy meal that didn't require a gravy, unless you wanted to make some. cooking time would vary according to the size of your roast. i don't know if we would be tenderizing a chuck roast in that same way today(poking it full of holes). but i recall it as being tasty and tender, and for whatever reason, Everybody was cooking it this way in the 60s, where i lived. i don't know if this is anything like what you are seeking, cosmo. chuck beef roast is easy to love, however you decide to cook it. good luck....:)

Last edited:
Oh yes. I remember only too well, marinate everything in Italian dressing.

We have a patio and in the summer we have BBQs. The resident that does all the cooking and grilling is stuck in the 50's and 60's. He still marinates all the meats in Italian dressing. I didn't like it back in the 60's and I still don't. So I bring my own meat. Plain and unadulterated.

I make what we call a Yankee Pot Roast. A piece of chuck roast, with holes for garlic poked throughout, seared in a little oil on all sides in a heavy dutch oven. I usually add an envelope of onion soup with one cup of broth or water. Cover and simmer for about two hours. Turn meat about twice during the simmering. Peel veggies of choice. (Potatoes, carrots, turnips, etc.) Remove the meat and place on a platter. Add the veggies to the pot in the juice, replace the meat on top of the veggies, simmer until veggies are done. Place the meat on a platter and surround with cooked veggies. Make gravy with the juices at the bottom of the pot. The meat and the veggies will release their juices and flavor for the gravy.

I cook the veggies in a whole state. I don't cut them up. (Although if the potatoes are large you may have to cut them in half.) They just look prettier when placed on the platter. :angel:

My mom used to make pot roast similar to Addie's description, but she covered the roast with horseradish sauce. It made a delicious gravy.

Welcome to DC, Cosmo!

My memories of chuck roasts are similar to the others you have received here. I do know that with lesser cuts like chuck you want to cook them low and slow - Lower heat for a longer time. The holes with garlic do two things - they flavour the roast and help to tenderize it (the dressing helps with this as well).

Hope we have helped you and I look forward to seeing you around the site! :)

Back
Top Bottom