"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 02-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #11
Master Chef

Welcome, I know you are going to like it here.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:06 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Bienvenue, Skydancer. I'm a little confused.
You say you're divorced, but you have a new MIL?

Anyway, another tip for stiff egg whites is to add a smidge (1/8 tsp?) of cream of tartar to help them stand at attention.
Thanks for all the advice everybody. I'll give it another try this weekend.

As for the MOL, sorry, I didn't mean Mother in Law, I meant StepMother. My father's new wife. It's strange thinking of my father with a new wife. They were married for 52 years before my mother died.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:24 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydancer
Thanks for all the advice everybody. I'll give it another try this weekend.

As for the MOL, sorry, I didn't mean Mother in Law, I meant StepMother. My father's new wife. It's strange thinking of my father with a new wife. They were married for 52 years before my mother died.
And of course I meant MIL, not MOL. *sigh*
Old 02-09-2007, 04:56 AM   #14
Head Chef

Thank you for pandering to our curiosity Skydancer, we are very nosy, eh? My F-I-L got remarried recently too, and yes, its strange for his children. But sounds like you are buiding a good friendship with her, which is great!
Old 02-10-2007, 03:37 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
Thank you for pandering to our curiosity Skydancer, we are very nosy, eh? My F-I-L got remarried recently too, and yes, its strange for his children. But sounds like you are buiding a good friendship with her, which is great!
The really weird thing is that even though she's somewhere around 73 (I haven't asked her age!), she knows even less about cooking than I do. Her explanation is that her daughters have always done the cooking. I haven't gotten around to asking her what she did when they were little though.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:05 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the help

I tried to post this yesterday but couldn't get to the site. I just wanted to thank you all for your help and let you know that it helped. I did the Chile Rellenos Saturday night. I think the batter still wasn't quite right (a little too thin) but the eggs whipped fine once I stopped using the blender and started using an electric beater. I think maybe I need some more practice on the "folding" technique.

Flame roasting my own chilies was pretty tedious too. And tough to get right. The first time I undercooked them and couldn't peel them. So I tried again and I think some of them were a little over-cooked and I didn't do a very good job of roasting them evenly but overall, it wasn't bad. I'll definitely need more practice before I feed them to anybody else though. I might try the oven roasting technique next time instead of flame roasting. I suspect it will be easier to get them evenly roasted. The batter recipe needs a little work too. Although they tasted similar to ones I've had in restaurants, they've always been a touch on the bland side for me and I wanted to spice them up a bit. I'm not sure what to add though.

Next time I'll probably try making my own Salsa Verde too since I couldn't find green chile salsa made with tomatillos in the grocery store. Though I have no idea where to get tomatillos.

Thanks again for the advice everybody!

Skye.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:07 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Skye,
tomatillos can be purchased either fresh in the produce department or canned..The canned are usually in the Ethnic section of your grocery store, there should also be some green sauce right close by the tomatillos..I usually make my own green sauce but the canned are very good.

kadesma
Old 02-14-2007, 01:10 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Skydancer, I have no clue as to where you live, but I can find tomatillos in my rural market here in western Kentucky. Just be sure to buy firm ones that are not mushy or wrinkled. Our area Kroger and Wal-Mart superstores carry them.

Congratulations on your efforts to make a favorite dish. Once mastered, you'll be so proud of yourself and will be able to taste your fine skills in a perfected dish. Keep on keepin' on, you'll be okay.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:22 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Skye,
tomatillos can be purchased either fresh in the produce department or canned..The canned are usually in the Ethnic section of your grocery store, there should also be some green sauce right close by the tomatillos..I usually make my own green sauce but the canned are very good.

kadesma
I've looked all over the store I usually go to and couldn't find them either in the fresh produce section or the ethnic section. I think I'll just look around in some of the other stores.

Skye.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:42 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydancer
I've looked all over the store I usually go to and couldn't find them either in the fresh produce section or the ethnic section. I think I'll just look around in some of the other stores.

Skye.
I went to the largest grocery store in Boulder, CO and found some Tomatillos. No fresh ones, but they had canned in the Mexican (ethnic) section. So I made a Salsa Verde with Tomatillos. I looked at the ingredients of the green chile salsas I've tried from the store and none of them had Tomatillos. They all had either Tomatoes or neither. I think I need to shop in more hispanic areas of the city :-) Anyway, I love tomatillos! The Salsa Verde I made with them was much better than the ones with tomatoes.

I did modify the recipe a bit. I cut the cilantro in half and added some comino. Also, the recipe had whipping cream for thickening but I'm lactose intolerent so I'm trying to cut down on dairy products. I was going to use flower or corn starch for thickening but then I decided to try some Masa Harina. I think it worked really well. I used in on Heuvos Rancheros and I think it came out really well.