"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 11-18-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hi everybody

Hi everyone, i found this forum while i was searching for direction on how to use chicken broth to cook the chicken. i am pretty new to cooking and am still exploring different ways of cooking.so ya does any one know how i should use the Heinz Chicken Broth to cook chicken??

i bought that packet without knowing how to use it.

sitara

Old 11-18-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Executive Chef

What are you trying to do to the chicken - casserole/stew, roast, poach, stirfry, etc? You don't have to use broth to cook chicken in at all but it depends on what you want. Tell us that and then I think you will be inundated with options!

Old 11-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Oh and welcome to DC by the way!! Many an expert (not me though!!) seems to reside here.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Hi Sitara and welcome. Chicken Broth to cook chicken? For me that would be to make a broth to stew chicken in for a soup or to have cooked chicken for a recipe such as enchiladas. I would still add more seasoning to the broth. The seasonings would depend on the type of chicken dish/recipe that I am making.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

yeah i want to stir fry the chicken, what sort of seasoning should i put? by the way, that chicken broth is the creamy sort. so is it ok to stir fry it? and can you tell me the directions to stir fry it..??
Old 11-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Stir frying is a dry cooking method so you would not want to use the broth for that.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I wouldn't add a cream broth to a stirfry but you can add a bit of the normal stuff after the initial stirfrying part. Helps thin down the thicker sauces.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:25 PM   #8
Head Chef

Hello Sitara and welcome! Stir frying takes us to another world, or at least another place in this world. It's a great place. Just a quick thing for you to stir fry chiciken.

Cut chicken into small thin strips. Dip into beaten egg whites and dredge in corn flour (corn starch). These go a few at a time into a hot - Hot! wok or frying pan with high sides. You will have about a tablespoon of oil in the wok and hot! I use peanut oil. Stir constantly and cook for about 3 - 5 minutes until chicken is golden brown and just cooked. Overcooking is easy and ruins the chicken - practice with small batchs. Be sure not to overcrowd the pan as hot and fast cooking is the key - overcrowding cools the oil making the result a soggy mess. Drain on paper towels and taste test. And then modify as needed. Add slight amount of oil as you go as needed. - Easy on the oil!

When you have stir fried up a nice table size batch of chicken you can return to the hot pan, add acouple tablesoons of soy sauce, and or a couple tablespoons sherry and a touch - 1 talespoon of oyster sauce plus some salt and pepper plus cashews if you like - about a third of a cup. Toss over high heat for about a minute and a half.

Hot and fast so be sure everything is premeasured - you have no time to stop and measure anything once you start.

Start with maybe a pound and a half of chicken breasts or thighs. This will make stir fry chicken - I didn't include veggies but once you have practiced just a bit I'll bet you want a simple cook book of stir fry recipes.

Just remember - thin strips, bite size, minimum oil, hot and fast, everything premeasured. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:50 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

ok..so now if i want to use the cream broth, how should i use it??
Old 11-18-2007, 11:53 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Sitara, where do you live? Cream broth? I'm not familiar with that. I'm wondering if it's a sauce you add after you stir fry.