Hi Everyone!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarmenL

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone! My name is Carmen and I am 33 and married with 3 children. I just recently discovered how much fun it is to prepare meals for my husband and children after finishing nursing school. I hope to share some of the little experience I have and learn new things. I got some good tips for a pot roast from BigDogs post. I will try mine tomorrow plus mushrooms!!

Thanks!!! What kind of nurse are you? I just graduated and am in cardiac unit. What an eye opener to begin a career.

BigDog me and my husband were reading about your crockpot roast and you mention that you played professional sports. What sport? My husband played lacrosse in college and went out for the Pittsburgh team but they werent recruiting then. Did you use mushrooms? Want to try slicing holes in the meat and putting in garlic. I liked that. I am nervous about ruining a $12 piece of meat!

Thanks!!! What kind of nurse are you? I just graduated and am in cardiac unit. What an eye opener to begin a career.

BigDog me and my husband were reading about your crockpot roast and you mention that you played professional sports. What sport? My husband played lacrosse in college and went out for the Pittsburgh team but they werent recruiting then. Did you use mushrooms? Want to try slicing holes in the meat and putting in garlic. I liked that. I am nervous about ruining a $12 piece of meat!

I work in Geriatric Rehab and End-of-Life Care (Hospice). I'm getting to know Cardiac really well...from the patient's point of view! I had a heart attack a little over a month ago with one stent placed.

From one newbie to another, welcome Carmen. I had to read your post a few times because it seemed like we know one another when you said that I was with you and your husband while reading this site. Then I realize it was nuances of punctuation and the language that I have not yet mastered. My apologies.

Everyone here was very helpful while I was preparing my roast for the crock pot. In hindsight, I would have also included mushrooms. It sounds as though you are already off to a good start. Please let us know how it turns out for you.

To answer your question: Yes, I played professional football. Many former athletes choose to open restaurants even though they have no experience with running a business or know how to cook......something I will never understand. I chose an alternative because I can do neither. Again, welcome.

Hi Princess Fiona. I hope you had a good recovery. My mother has had stents insterted over the past several years. Now the medicated ones make sure they never need replaced. I love nursing but sometimes the hours are hard.

Big Dog* Me and my husband are huge sports fans and I am sorry to keep bothering you about this. Do you mean Italian football that we call soccer or do you mean American football like the NFL? I am not trying to be funny but you said you are retired but only 28. We are just curious because we are big football and soccer fans.

Carmen. I played for the NFL for 4 years. I was recruited from an American University is Roma by the NFL. I became a dual citizen of both the United States and Italy. I played until I was 26 then made good business choices that presented me an opportunity to retire from football. Since my contract was only for 3 years, I received a 1 year extension.

I think you will find everyone here very helpful and a lot of fun. I wanted to start cooking to relive some of the burden from my wife, who still works occasionally. Then I realized.....cooking isn't a burden; it's a lot of fun. The nice people here took me by the hand and showed me the tunnel wasn't that deep....or that dark. I now look forward to trying to expand my miniscule recipe book. If it doesn't turn out, there's always delivery pizza.

Hi Princess Fiona. I hope you had a good recovery. My mother has had stents insterted over the past several years. Now the medicated ones make sure they never need replaced. I love nursing but sometimes the hours are hard.

Recovery is fine, just got back from Rehab, where they are trying to kill me. I worked my first 11 years on the nightshift...3-12 hour shifts a week. The hours are hard, but so satisfying. Best job I ever had.:)

PrincessFiona, I read your post and blew some of my favorite red wine out of my nose!!! Yes, the physical therapists are out to kill us. If you've ever been to a physical therapist, you'll understand how true this is. Our team PT was an attractive young woman. Of course all the guys loved the chance to get some private therapy time with her.....until it actually happened. Then they couldn't stand her anymore.

And a big thank you to all of you nurses. Princess-F.....my wife and I volunteer time as "visitors" in a convalescent center. We save visiting the hospice ward for last because afterward we don't have the emotional fortitude to even speak to one another let alone patients. Thank you for what you do.

PrincessFiona, I read your post and blew some of my favorite red wine out of my nose!!! Yes, the physical therapists are out to kill us. If you've ever been to a physical therapist, you'll understand how true this is. Our team PT was an attractive young woman. Of course all the guys loved the chance to get some private therapy time with her.....until it actually happened. Then they couldn't stand her anymore.

And a big thank you to all of you nurses. Princess-F.....my wife and I volunteer time as "visitors" in a convalescent center. We save visiting the hospice ward for last because afterward we don't have the emotional fortitude to even speak to one another let alone patients. Thank you for what you do.

LOL!!! Very funny...sorry about the wine loss! ;) Tonight I get to go learn how to cook. :rolleyes:

I really do love my job, all aspects. No, it's not always easy and heart rending at times, but to be able to take care of someone well at the end of their life...I feel honored and privileged.

Back
Top Bottom