Hi, Everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanlover

Assistant Cook
CatPat (Cat) invited me to this forum. I've seen many of the lovely, supportive comments that many of you have posted to her.....a forum full of nice people like my good friend Cat is definitely the place for me!

I am female, 60 years old, and retired from 20 years of service in the USAF. My health is rather poor, so my hobby is developing new recipes and cooking them (but it's just me and hubby; cooking for only two can get boring). Also, I am diabetic, so new recipes can be a challenge to keep within my carb count.

By way of introduction, here's a good recipe for crockpot bbq ribs:

Crockpot BBQ Ribs
Prep time: 45 min
Cook time: 6.5 hours
Serves 3 or 4

3 - 4 lbs spare, baby back, or country style ribs
Salt and pepper to taste
Onion powder to taste
2 cups Sweet Baby Ray's bottled BBQ sauce, any flavor

½ cup ketchup
1 Tbsp garlic, minced
¼ cup onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp brown sugar (or Splenda brown sugar blend)
2 tsp Liquid Smoke

Preheat oven to 400°. Season ribs with salt, pepper and onion powder. Place on metal rack in a shallow baking pan. Brown in oven 15 minutes. Turn over, and brown another 15 minutes; drain fat.

Slice ribs into 3-4 rib serving pieces and put in crock pot. Mix BBQ sauce, ketchup, garlic, onion, brown sugar, and liquid smoke together in mixing bowl; pour sauce over ribs.

Cover and cook on low 5.5 - 6 hours, rotating the ribs after 3 hours. Just before ribs are done, preheat oven to 400°. Take them out of the crockpot and place them on a foil-lined baking sheet and ladle some sauce over them. Bake 10 minutes, flip, ladle again and bake 10 more minutes (this caramelizes the sauce to the ribs). Serve with extra sauce on the side.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!;)

My kids have been asking me what I want for Mother's day. I couldn't think of anything. Now I know. A crockpot.

Welcome to DC. :angel:

My kids have been asking me what I want for Mother's day. I couldn't think of anything. Now I know. A crockpot.

Welcome to DC. :angel:

Addie, I have several really good crockpot recipes. If you do get one, let me know and I'll be happy to post them or send them to you!:chef: Oh, and if I may suggest, get a 5 or 6 qt. crockpot....I have found the smaller ones do not accomodate a lot of recipes!

Last edited:
Welcome! I have 2 different sizes of crockpots---- one back from when I had more people to cook for and a smaller one for me. (Cooking for one is as hard as cooking for two.)

Addie, I have several really good crockpot recipes. If you do get one, let me know and I'll be happy to post them or send them to you!:chef: Oh, and if I may suggest, get a 5 or 6 qt. crockpot....I have found the smaller ones do not accomodate a lot of recipes!

Someone (I think it's Kohls) has a nice 7 qt on sale this week. I have 3 big crock pots and 2 minis, so I don't need another one.

I live alone and don't eat very much in a sitting. A good example would be ribs. I would only make two and hope that I can eat both of them in one sitting. Whenever I cook for just myself, I make a meal of meat plus veggies. But I will only eat the meat or just the veggies. I am more of a picker than an eater. So I only need a four-five quart one. I do have a 2.5 one and it is good for what I eat. But I really want a nice one. :angel:

Hi, Ocean! Thank you so very much for joining us! You will love this place, I promise!

And everyone will love you also! Welcome, welcome!

With love,
~Cat

Back
Top Bottom