Hi Everyone! New here from Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maelinde

Senior Cook
Hiya everyone! I've been lurking here for a week or two and just really like this forum.

I've been a home cook basically since I was 5 - assisting my mom. I was putting full meals on the table since age 10. My mom and grams really taught me well.

Now, I cook for my hubby and sometimes my kitties (with veterinary approval, of course).

For Christmas 2014, my hubby got me a much anticipated Excalibur food dehydrator, and I absolutely LOVE it! Hadn't had much chance to use it as I was injured in a recent car accident on 2/13, but used it the other day to make some lovely potato chips. Hubby ate most of them before I could get to them...

I also love to bake, cook just about anything for ourselves and groups of friends, and of course use that dehydrator.

I have a recipe for fresh salsa that Randy (hubby) and I created several years ago that is always requested at parties. We had fun that weekend eating the "mistakes". I'll see if I can't post that in the near future.

The cold and icy weather we've been having really get me enjoying making stews. I don't have any recipes for those - just all by taste and what is in the pantry/fridge.

If you can't tell, I can be a bit chatty. ;)

This is a great and informative group and I hope to be a positive contributer. :chef:

Welcome to DC, Maelinde. It sounds like you'll fit right in here. Join the party and share some of your cooking ideas with us.

Last edited:
Hiya everyone! I've been lurking here for a week or two and just really like this forum.

I've been a home cook basically since I was 5 - assisting my mom. I was putting full meals on the table since age 10. My mom and grams really taught me well.

Now, I cook for my hubby and sometimes my kitties (with veterinary approval, of course).

For Christmas 2014, my hubby got me a much anticipated Excalibur food dehydrator, and I absolutely LOVE it! Hadn't had much chance to use it as I was injured in a recent car accident on 2/13, but used it the other day to make some lovely potato chips. Hubby ate most of them before I could get to them...

I also love to bake, cook just about anything for ourselves and groups of friends, and of course use that dehydrator.

I have a recipe for fresh salsa that Randy (hubby) and I created several years ago that is always requested at parties. We had fun that weekend eating the "mistakes". I'll see if I can't post that in the near future.

The cold and icy weather we've been having really get me enjoying making stews. I don't have any recipes for those - just all by taste and what is in the pantry/fridge.

If you can't tell, I can be a bit chatty. ;)

This is a great and informative group and I hope to be a positive contributer. :chef:

Welcome fellow Excalibur lover...:angel:
Thanks to the recommendations from a few DC members I bought one.
Couldn't be more happier with the purchase.The things I've used it for has been for the usual things you'd expect to use it for.To the creative hobbyist in me.It never ends really.It's been taken to the extreme here.
Friends often ask to borrow it.Munky's Rule's.."You break it, you bought it" They treat it with love.:ROFLMAO:

Hope you drop in and pay us a visit in the dehydrating section.I'd like to know how you made you chips in it.

Munky.

Thank you everyone for the nice welcomes! I hope to be contributing much in the near future. I'm just having a blast checking out the forum topics. One could easily spend days learning different methods of cooking and about equipment and tools.

You guys rock in here! :)

Welcome fellow Excalibur lover...:angel:
Thanks to the recommendations from a few DC members I bought one.
Couldn't be more happier with the purchase.The things I've used it for has been for the usual things you'd expect to use it for.To the creative hobbyist in me.It never ends really.It's been taken to the extreme here.
Friends often ask to borrow it.Munky's Rule's.."You break it, you bought it" They treat it with love.:ROFLMAO:

Hope you drop in and pay us a visit in the dehydrating section.I'd like to know how you made you chips in it.

Munky.

Hi Munky,

I used both the thin and medium slice options on my mandoline to see what produced the best potato chips. Thin won hands down. The medium tasted a bit better, but were so crunchy I was afraid of breaking a tooth.

Just put the slices in a bath of water and lemon juice to avoid over-browning, misted with a very small amount of olive oil and put on the regular mesh trays into the Excalibur at 155F, checking every 2 hours for preferable doneness. No surprise, the thinner slices dried much faster. The thicker ones took about 6-8 hours.

Seasonings I used (on different trays for experiments) were salt, salt & pepper (our fave), and finally, Brady St. Cheese Sprinkle (2nd fave).

Next time, I'll try out some other seasonings like taco, chili powder, BBQ 3000, and Italian just for grins. :cool:

I think I'm going to make some zucchini chips this weekend, though. Got a couple of them just waiting to be made into something snacky.

Back
Top Bottom