Hi Fellow Cooking Enthusiasts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome Selma, looking forward to getting to know you better, I am sure you have some very interesting recipes as well as some interesting stories to tell!

I hate cleaning up too!

Welcome to the forums Selma! You'll have a good time around here with all the foodies. If we ever find someone who DOES enjoy cleaning up, we'll all adopt him/her. ;)

Welcome Selma,
How nice to have another foodie with us.

kadesma:)

Hello Selma

Welcome to DC - I was in Israel many many years ago and I really enjoyed myself. You found the right place for Cooking Enthusiasts with wonderful receipes and great personalities. This a place where everyone has a good time and again welcome aboard.

Jill and Jolie

Greetings, Selma. I'm sure you'll find, as I am finding, that this is a great group of people with an enormous body of cooking knowledge. I can't wait to see what you are doing with your NY roots and current location!

Selma, hi and welcome!

Can you tell us what kind of food you're currently eating and what yours likes, dislikes, and specialites are?

I ask only because I'm always thrilled to find someone with experience with middle eastern food in general (Lebanese sweets in particular!)

Actually the food I cook at home is particularly Turkish/Greek (that is my heritage) cuisine, as I am still learning Palestinian and Arabic dishes thanks to my gracious mother in law, but I also like to experiment a couple times a week with dishes from around the world.

I love Lebanese desserts and actually have been wanting to make one called Lebanese Nights, I will have to post pics and recipes when I have tried it!

I have a dinner party tomorrow night and I must get to planning that, the biggest challenge of living here is making the flavors of my food work with the pallette of people who live here, mama mia, it has been hard!!

Although I am not cooking off the scale for them, traditional Turkish foods have a tomato base where in Palestine, its a no no, most there foods do not use tomato and pepper paste, but have a strong flavor in Allspice, something I am getting slowly used too... And cinnomin with meat, I am really having a hard time with that one!!!

selma said:
Actually the food I cook at home is particularly Turkish/Greek (that is my heritage) cuisine, as I am still learning Palestinian and Arabic dishes thanks to my gracious mother in law, but I also like to experiment a couple times a week with dishes from around the world.

I love Lebanese desserts and actually have been wanting to make one called Lebanese Nights, I will have to post pics and recipes when I have tried it!

I have a dinner party tomorrow night and I must get to planning that, the biggest challenge of living here is making the flavors of my food work with the pallette of people who live here, mama mia, it has been hard!!

Although I am not cooking off the scale for them, traditional Turkish foods have a tomato base where in Palestine, its a no no, most there foods do not use tomato and pepper paste, but have a strong flavor in Allspice, something I am getting slowly used too... And cinnomin with meat, I am really having a hard time with that one!!!

Interesting!

Not familiar with your "Lebanese Nights" -- please do post pics and recipes! Two of my current favorites are mahalabiya and the baklava-ish "bourma" both of which I've posted about here. If you have input, I'd be thrilled to have it.

I know what you mean about the tastes of the locals. I still remember my husband's aunt poking at an Asian chicken with cashews at a party of mine, poking and saying "chicken? With nuts?" kinda like she just couldn't compute. It would have been wildly frustrating if all my relatives were like that (she wouldn't even try it) but all the rest just love to try new food which is great.

And I arrived with a "if it hasn't killed them ..." attitude that's meant I've tried everything, even if it initially didn't appeal (little fish which you eat head and all). 99% of what I've tried I now love, and I'll just betcha you'll love cinnamon with meat soon too (it's GREAT with a beef & tomato stew, just great!)

Okay, before somebody slaps my hand for hijacking this thread ... see you on the forums!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom