Hi from south Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ha ha thank you. I've heard a lot about northern Florida, DH is from Long Island. lol

He is also a big Simpson fan. Is it a northern thing? lol

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I remember Coral Gables. That's where the rich people lived many years ago.

They still do! Howdy neighbor from Margate! I'm also a native and went to HML Senior. Now I avoid Dade county as much as possible. Had to go to Coral Gables on Saturday from Ft. Lauderdale, took two hours to get there as some morons decided to close three left lanes on 95 for construction, not including the pay to play lanes. :mad:

Hey neighbor, forgive my lousy memory, what school is HML. Nice to know CG hasn't changed. It has been many, many years since I was back to Dade County. Spent many years in Broward. Now we are in PB county. Looks like we are working our way to Georgia ha ha.

I hope I can make Florida proud. I hope people will like the recipes I will be posting here. I have saved copies of everything we have made since 1988. (don't panic, I won't be posting all of them lol)

Hey neighbor, forgive my lousy memory, what school is HML. Nice to know CG hasn't changed. It has been many, many years since I was back to Dade County. Spent many years in Broward. Now we are in PB county. Looks like we are working our way to Georgia ha ha.

I hope I can make Florida proud. I hope people will like the recipes I will be posting here. I have saved copies of everything we have made since 1988. (don't panic, I won't be posting all of them lol)

Hialeah-Miami Lakes. Back in the those days, '79 to '92, I taught recreational scuba for a living. In those days, spiny lobster feared me, even after I stopped teaching. That was when the limit was 6 per person or 24 per boat. My wife and I would get 200 to 300 per season. A lot was given away to friends and neighbors, but not to get bored with the same ways of cooking, I came up with several recipes. Same for hogfish. We're also Cajun and Creole fans.

Hialeah-Miami Lakes. Back in the those days, '79 to '92, I taught recreational scuba for a living. In those days, spiny lobster feared me, even after I stopped teaching. That was when the limit was 6 per person or 24 per boat. My wife and I would get 200 to 300 per season. A lot was given away to friends and neighbors, but not to get bored with the same ways of cooking, I came up with several recipes. Same for hogfish. We're also Cajun and Creole fans.

Boy do I wish I knew you then. I used to get my lobster from a local Chinese restaurant till they sold it a few years ago. The new people want almost double for the lobster. No Way! ! !

Did your school ever play North Miami High?

I badly want to try hogfish. My cousins in West Palm and Jupiter rave about it.

And I haven't had smoked mullet in so long. I need a Florida fix.

Last edited:
Hogfish has a taste similar to halibut, just way skinnier fillets. You can buy it commercially here now, but it's usually over $20 a pound because they aren't net caught and are nearly always diver caught. They are some of the dumbest fish ever. One time I found a good sized one eating, they eat tiny crustaceans. Swam up, put the tip of the spear next to his head, waited until he finished eating, then shot him with an instant kill shot. He got his last meal and never knew what hit him.

Boy do I wish I knew you then. I used to get my lobster from a local Chinese restaurant till they sold it a few years ago. The new people want almost double for the lobster. No Way! ! !

Did your school ever play North Miami High?

Yes we did, I played on JV squad. The Varsity one state championship the year after I graduated. Is there a Restaurant Depot in Palm Beach County? In the early '80s I worked at a scuba shop on Sunny Isles Blvd.

Last edited:
Yes we did, I played on JV squad. The Varsity one state championship the year after I graduated. Is there a Restaurant Depot in Palm Beach County? In the early '80s I worked at a scuba shop on Sunny Isles Blvd.

Several just south of us. What is it and why?

Boy! Are you bring back old memories. Isn't that the road leading to Haulover Beach? I think there used to be a place called The Blue Marlin. My family used to stop there on the way back from the beach and buy dinner to take home. Loved their hushpuppies. Haven't had any as good since.

Last edited:
Restaurant Depot, at least the 2 that I go to, have great seafood departments. In order to join, you have to have a resale certificate from a business and the owner has to present it at one of the locations. The prices are better than so called "Wholesale" places.

Sunny Isles Blvd will get you to Collins Ave (A1A) just north of Haulover.

Back
Top Bottom