"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 05-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hi from Texas!

Good morning!

I love to cook and I am glad to be a part of this community! Cajun, hot and Spicy are my favorites. I am a decent cook always looking for ways to improve. I am pretty good with the wood smoker, just getting into dutch oven cooking and I am learning how to can.

I live outside of a small town in East Texas with my wife, daughter and Basset hound LuLuBelle. Beside cooking I enjoy reading, hunting, fishing, good bourbon and great cigars. In my spare time I am a Captain with the local volunteer fire department and a HazMat Technician.

Hope you have a great week.
Alan

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
Culturedhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Welcome to DC! I love bassets!

Old 05-16-2016, 11:15 AM   #3
Master Chef

Welcome. Love cigars too. Not enough time in a day for them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 05-16-2016, 03:07 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Welcome to DC! I'm also into "Q", Cajun and spicy food. I'll throw Thai into the spicy mix as well as SW and the spicier side of Mexican and Tex-Mex. Nothing like a good bowl of Terlingua red! Planning a crawfish boil in the next couple of weeks.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:09 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Welcome. I'm new here myself.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:26 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:39 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the welcome! D.C. is going to ruin my diet.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
Culturedhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #8
Master Chef

Welcome, Alan! Glad you're here. Look around and jump on in! We've got lots of wood smokers and canners here.

By the way, I've got a soft spot in my heart for firefighters - my son-in-law has been fighting fires here in California for many years. And I'm already in love with your Bassett, LuLuBelle.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:04 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC. Like Cheryl, I too have a soft spot in my heart for both firefighters and the police. Also for any First Responders.

My grandson is a firefighter. He takes his turn on what his department calls "the box." It is the town ambulance. He told his father one day, that he hates working on "the box." He wants to run into burning buildings. Not deal with people who think the ambulance is their personal taxi. He lives and serves in a very small town.

They recently had a big explosion in a chemical plant in the town where he serves. His vehicle was the first one to arrive on the scene. He grabbed the hose and ran into the building and the room where the explosion occurred. There was still areas that were smoking. He was all set to open the hose, then hesitated. His Hazmat training popped right in at that moment. The workers there started to scream. If he had put water on any of the areas in that room, the whole plant would have gone up in an explosion like they had never seen before. He dropped the hose and started to help the injured workers to safety.

Firefighters like the police never get the recognition that they deserve. My youngest son was a Paramedic for more than 15 years. And my granddaughter is married to a police officer who started his career as a firefighter. Serving the public just seems to run in my family.

I often will correct folks who call those like yourself, "you are a firefighter, not a fireman." A fireman is one who tends to heating systems and boilers. You are a Firefighter. With a capital "F". Thank you for all you do for the uncaring public until they need your services.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:43 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culturedhick View Post
Thanks for the welcome! D.C. is going to ruin my diet.
Welcome, but you won't necessarily ruin your diet. Making food taste good doesn't mean it has to be fattening or unhealthy. Choose wisely and stay active.

Tags
texas