"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 02-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson42 View Post
Hola, Clienta, if the truth be told, our 1st love is Merida and the area there but the humidity was a problem for my wife. It's the cleanist and least traveled by tourists than anywhere we have been down here. We actualy went through immigration for Panama before Mexico. Wow! What stories I'll have for the grandchildren about that adventure!

We usually leave early May just when the humidity, heat & bugs are in full swing. My husband is originally from Scottsdale so humidity is a relatively new (11 years) for him. When we're not here, we're in FL or Northern NY, so he's getting his share of it. I loved the lack of it, when I lived in Scottsdale. I have yet to go to Merida. All the locals here love Merida & go pretty frequently. One of these days, we'll have to take a road trip but I just hate to leave our little Island of paradise.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

We were in Campeche in the rural areas. Not so clean, but still a lot of fun. I loved Mexico. I hate the way they treat animals, I couldn't believe all the dogs that were running free.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I agree about the animals, infact to help with the shock of not working, we went to Los Amigos de Animales last week and adopted an abused Mexican dog. We're very happy with him, but it's strange the way the dogs here act differently than in the states. I thought Latino culture would only apply to people. He doesn't speak English and when I talk to him, he looks at me, kind of nods his head and smiles, while gazing off into the distance. Alot like some of the waiters here.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:48 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

LOL It is funny, my dog in Mexico didn't speak English either. I would talk to him and he would just do that head tilt thing. As for the waiters, they are the same down there as up here, you have your good ones, and you have your horrible ones! And they can mess up your order just as well as in the states! It doesn't matter if you speak the language or not!
Old 02-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

to the two newbies, hi and welcome.

babe
Old 02-18-2008, 11:11 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson42 View Post
I agree about the animals, infact to help with the shock of not working, we went to Los Amigos de Animales last week and adopted an abused Mexican dog. We're very happy with him, but it's strange the way the dogs here act differently than in the states. I thought Latino culture would only apply to people. He doesn't speak English and when I talk to him, he looks at me, kind of nods his head and smiles, while gazing off into the distance. Alot like some of the waiters here.
It has been hard for me to get used to the treatment of animals down here. Animals (dogs & cats) have always been spoiled family members in my family. My son (2 1/2) tells everyone about his "sista Clenta".

We adopted two strays on our own, Clienta became part of our family 5 years ago this March and BB has resided with my grandmother in Syracuse, NY for three years. It took lots of love, time & money to get them healthy (they had heartworms, lyme disease, etc.) but all so worth it. Clienta is the most loving, loyal, patient & sweet family member. We feel truly lucky that she befreinded us at our favorite taco stand. The owners of the taco stand fed her every night & named her Clienta (female customer).

Los Amigos de Animales has a very active branch here & has been incredible in saving the dogs with hundreds of adoptions in the States & spaying/neutering clinics. We bring supplies & donations every year to help the vets on the Island. The feral cats are a little tougher to catch & adopt...they are vicious.

As for the language barrier...Clienta is bilingual but she only sits when she's tired of standing never when you ask her too it doesn't matter what language.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We sit on our deck daily and watch the poor stray dogs walk by. They are so lonely and hungry looking. I always want to bring them home with me. It's sad. It's the same in Greece only there are many more cats than dogs.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:23 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

While we were driving down to Campeche, every gas station we stopped at my kids and I would feed the stray dogs, then on the way back up they were disappointed we didn't stop at the same gas stations, they missed the dogs. My ex-husband thought I was insane and tried to tell me I was going to get bit, but it's amazing how nice a hungry dog is when you are nice to them and have food.