Hi gang, from Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilson42

Assistant Cook
I'm new,of course, isn't this the introduction forum? My wife and I after not much discussion, decided last summer to get out while the getting was good. We put our home on the market while it still had some value, took early retirements and moved the show to Mazatlan, Mexico. I found this site while searching for info on grinding my own beef. USDA is available here but not in ground form. I'm sure I will enjoy being here with you all.:cool:

Bienvenido! We live (6 months) on the other coast off of Cancun, an island named Isla Mujeres. My husband grew up in Scottsdale & remembers having a lot of fun in Mazatlan in his younger years. If my husband's work didn't take us back to the States, I'd stay in MX all year.

One funny thing I've noticed on the forum is in the "what are you having for dinner?" thread, the other members eat Mexican food more often than we do.

Have fun with DC!:)

Hello
Welcome and ENJOY! Mazatlan is one of our favorite places!
We love it there and try to go as often as we can. Our next trip is
coming up soon ( though not soon enough, lol)!

Last edited:
Hola, Clienta, if the truth be told, our 1st love is Merida and the area there but the humidity was a problem for my wife. It's the cleanist and least traveled by tourists than anywhere we have been down here. We actualy went through immigration for Panama before Mexico. Wow! What stories I'll have for the grandchildren about that adventure!

Hi, pdswife. I'm glad you like Maz. The season has been slow this year, tourist wise and it's hurting the locals that depend on the business. The weather has been cold by our standards 50's at night and low 70's day. Be sure to check out our new Mega when you come. Just across from Sam's. It has to be seen to believed.

Hi, I'm a newbie here too. How lucky of you to be in Mexico year round. My ex-husband is from Campeche. Oh how I miss going down and visiting. I'm waiting to win the lotto and then I am moving down for good!

Wilson42- the humidity is a killer in the Yucatan isn't it! Very pretty area though.

Hola, Clienta, if the truth be told, our 1st love is Merida and the area there but the humidity was a problem for my wife. It's the cleanist and least traveled by tourists than anywhere we have been down here. We actualy went through immigration for Panama before Mexico. Wow! What stories I'll have for the grandchildren about that adventure!

We usually leave early May just when the humidity, heat & bugs are in full swing. My husband is originally from Scottsdale so humidity is a relatively new (11 years) for him. When we're not here, we're in FL or Northern NY, so he's getting his share of it. I loved the lack of it, when I lived in Scottsdale. I have yet to go to Merida. All the locals here love Merida & go pretty frequently. One of these days, we'll have to take a road trip but I just hate to leave our little Island of paradise.:)

We were in Campeche in the rural areas. Not so clean, but still a lot of fun. I loved Mexico. I hate the way they treat animals, I couldn't believe all the dogs that were running free.

I agree about the animals, infact to help with the shock of not working, we went to Los Amigos de Animales last week and adopted an abused Mexican dog. We're very happy with him, but it's strange the way the dogs here act differently than in the states. I thought Latino culture would only apply to people. He doesn't speak English and when I talk to him, he looks at me, kind of nods his head and smiles, while gazing off into the distance. Alot like some of the waiters here.

LOL It is funny, my dog in Mexico didn't speak English either. I would talk to him and he would just do that head tilt thing. As for the waiters, they are the same down there as up here, you have your good ones, and you have your horrible ones! And they can mess up your order just as well as in the states! :LOL: It doesn't matter if you speak the language or not!

I agree about the animals, infact to help with the shock of not working, we went to Los Amigos de Animales last week and adopted an abused Mexican dog. We're very happy with him, but it's strange the way the dogs here act differently than in the states. I thought Latino culture would only apply to people. He doesn't speak English and when I talk to him, he looks at me, kind of nods his head and smiles, while gazing off into the distance. Alot like some of the waiters here.

It has been hard for me to get used to the treatment of animals down here. Animals (dogs & cats) have always been spoiled family members in my family. My son (2 1/2) tells everyone about his "sista Clenta". :in_love:

We adopted two strays on our own, Clienta became part of our family 5 years ago this March and BB has resided with my grandmother in Syracuse, NY for three years. It took lots of love, time & money to get them healthy (they had heartworms, lyme disease, etc.) but all so worth it. Clienta is the most loving, loyal, patient & sweet family member. We feel truly lucky that she befreinded us at our favorite taco stand. The owners of the taco stand fed her every night & named her Clienta (female customer).

Los Amigos de Animales has a very active branch here & has been incredible in saving the dogs with hundreds of adoptions in the States & spaying/neutering clinics. We bring supplies & donations every year to help the vets on the Island. The feral cats are a little tougher to catch & adopt...they are vicious.

As for the language barrier...Clienta is bilingual but she only sits when she's tired of standing never when you ask her too it doesn't matter what language.:)

We sit on our deck daily and watch the poor stray dogs walk by. They are so lonely and hungry looking. I always want to bring them home with me. It's sad. It's the same in Greece only there are many more cats than dogs.

While we were driving down to Campeche, every gas station we stopped at my kids and I would feed the stray dogs, then on the way back up they were disappointed we didn't stop at the same gas stations, they missed the dogs. My ex-husband thought I was insane and tried to tell me I was going to get bit, but it's amazing how nice a hungry dog is when you are nice to them and have food.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom