"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Hi, I am from Nebraska who is an Over the Road Truck Driver

Hello Everyone,
I am looking at and looking for suggestions that may help me live a healthier and better life as a truck driver. I have recently had my gall bladder taken out and have been informed that I am having to be very careful of all food intake so that I am not eating fatty and greasy foods.

I have a Stove on the GO lunchbox oven. If anyone has any other suggestions that might work for cooking equipment I would greatly appreciate it.

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all
Charity aka sassyfromnebraskey

sassyfromnebraskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
Head Chef
Charity, Welcome to DC.

Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Hi Charity. Welcome to our family.

I don't know what model of the stove you have, but the digital one can be used like a crock-pot. That being the case, you might go to the bookstore and browse through cookbooks on that method of cooking.

Beyond this suggestion, I really can't help any further, but I'm pretty sure there'll be others here who can provide even more help.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:41 AM   #4
Assistant Cook
Welcome here
kadirecipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I know a lot of OTR drivers who have the same problem. Not only is most truck stop food deep fried or covered in gravy, it certainly is not cheap. What a few truckers I've known have done is to stop at a grocery store and stock up on fresh fruits and veggies.

It takes planning to eat healthy. I can't count how many times I found myself hungry with no food in the house and my only option being a fast food joint.

If you have a crock pot or similar device in your truck, then you can certainly find healthy cooking books for those pieces of equipment. Good luck with this and Go Big Red!
I live to eat. I shall die with an entire cheesecake in my tummy, surrounded by empty beer bottles and soda cans, with a slice of cold pizza still in my hand. Oh death, where is thy sting?
tedtheewen is offline   Reply With Quote