"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hi I am new and have a wee question please

Do you think it is better to boil chicken in its skin and then de-skin - do you think it gives more depth to the dish? Thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Head Chef

Welcome to DC. Personally, I would cook with the skin. The skin and the fat under the skin will add to the flavor.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I always prefer to cook with skin and bones.
I never boiled chicken - but have poached.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

If you're going to use the chicken and toss the liquid, it doesn't matter. If you are going to use the liquid as a broth, cook the chicken with skin and bones.

BTW, you should not boil meat. A low simmer is the hottest you should get the water. Boiling will toughen the meat.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
Cook

Welcome! I would boil the water, put the chicken with skin and bones in there, let it boil and then cook in slow heat. You are right, the skin, fat and bones give more flavor. There would be a layer of fat on the top of the dish later, that you can remove with some patience. However, if you don't want to fat, I would suggest getting rid of most of the fat and skin.

~~Saraaa
Old 01-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
Head Chef

Welcome to DC.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Put the whole chicken in the pot and simmer. SAVE THE STOCK! Take the chicken out, and let the pot cool on the stove. When it is at room temp, put it in the fridge for an hour or so, and the grease on the top will get hard. You can take it out with your hands, and throw it in the trash. Other than intentionally making stock, chicken soup, or need chicken for chicken salad, I am not sure why you would want to boil chicken.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
Sous Chef

"You can take it out with your hands, and throw it in the trash."...unless you have a dog, who will forever love you for the treat. Skin and bones, too...I put chicken carcasses in the pressure cooker until the bones go soft. Grind as a base for dog biscuits. Oh, and welcome to DC. We, ahhhhh, cook here.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Put the whole chicken in the pot and simmer. SAVE THE STOCK! Take the chicken out, and let the pot cool on the stove. When it is at room temp, put it in the fridge for an hour or so, and the grease on the top will get hard. You can take it out with your hands, and throw it in the trash. Other than intentionally making stock, chicken soup, or need chicken for chicken salad, I am not sure why you would want to boil chicken.
If you are going to use the stock sooner, add some ice cubes to the stock, all the fat will stick to it. Scoop the ice cubes with the fat and throw them away. You are left with nice stock.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
Sous Chef

skin

as said boiling a chicken is a bad bad idea

Poaching one however can lead to a very nice chicken.

Cooks Illustrated had a recipe for "french chicken in a pot" i think that's what it was called.... made for an excellent bird perfect for chicken salad or for using the chicken in other dishes.