Hi I am new and have a wee question please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silver44

Assistant Cook
Do you think it is better to boil chicken in its skin and then de-skin - do you think it gives more depth to the dish? Thanks

Welcome to DC. Personally, I would cook with the skin. The skin and the fat under the skin will add to the flavor.

If you're going to use the chicken and toss the liquid, it doesn't matter. If you are going to use the liquid as a broth, cook the chicken with skin and bones.

BTW, you should not boil meat. A low simmer is the hottest you should get the water. Boiling will toughen the meat.

Welcome! I would boil the water, put the chicken with skin and bones in there, let it boil and then cook in slow heat. You are right, the skin, fat and bones give more flavor. There would be a layer of fat on the top of the dish later, that you can remove with some patience. However, if you don't want to fat, I would suggest getting rid of most of the fat and skin.

~~Saraaa

Put the whole chicken in the pot and simmer. SAVE THE STOCK! Take the chicken out, and let the pot cool on the stove. When it is at room temp, put it in the fridge for an hour or so, and the grease on the top will get hard. You can take it out with your hands, and throw it in the trash. Other than intentionally making stock, chicken soup, or need chicken for chicken salad, I am not sure why you would want to boil chicken.

"You can take it out with your hands, and throw it in the trash."...unless you have a dog, who will forever love you for the treat. Skin and bones, too...I put chicken carcasses in the pressure cooker until the bones go soft. Grind as a base for dog biscuits. Oh, and welcome to DC. We, ahhhhh, cook here.

Put the whole chicken in the pot and simmer. SAVE THE STOCK! Take the chicken out, and let the pot cool on the stove. When it is at room temp, put it in the fridge for an hour or so, and the grease on the top will get hard. You can take it out with your hands, and throw it in the trash. Other than intentionally making stock, chicken soup, or need chicken for chicken salad, I am not sure why you would want to boil chicken.

If you are going to use the stock sooner, add some ice cubes to the stock, all the fat will stick to it. Scoop the ice cubes with the fat and throw them away. You are left with nice stock.

skin

as said boiling a chicken is a bad bad idea

Poaching one however can lead to a very nice chicken.

Cooks Illustrated had a recipe for "french chicken in a pot" i think that's what it was called.... made for an excellent bird perfect for chicken salad or for using the chicken in other dishes.

If you're boiling it for the broth, you definitely want skin and bones. So much of the flavor and nutrition come from the bones. I know the skin is fatty, but after you've extracted the broth put in the fridge over night. The fat will congeal on the top and it is super easy to skim it off.

Back
Top Bottom