Hi. I'd like to introduce myself.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nucleus

Cook

Attachments

• 9980222914982.jpg
    9980222914982.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
welcome nucleus.

with cooking like that, it won't be long until you're that center of attention here. :)

Thank you for warm welcome-note buckytom,
I am writing down my well working brine recipe for this poultry and post it in in no time. Laterrrrrrrr

Poultry brine recipe.

:) A poultry brine recipe that will make you TURKEY ROASTS the best you have ever had.
For a 14 to 16 pound frozen young turkey or 4-5 Chickens in the 2-3 Pound class.

1 Cup Salt
1/2 Cup light brown sugar
1 Gallon Vegetable Stock (16 Cups)
1 Tablespoon Black pepper corns
1/2 Tablespoon allspice berries
1/2 Tablespoon Candied Ginger
1 Gallon iced water (16 Cups)

Turkey cooking/roasting Guide:
1. Prior to cooking make sure the turkey is fully defrosted.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F - 180°C
3. Remove defrosted turkey from bag.
4. Place turkey in roaster pot, or baking tray, or in single use baking/roasting tray and cover with foil.
5. Cook in preheated oven at 350°F - 180°C for 30-40 minutes per every 18 ounces or 500g of its weight.
6. Add a further 20 minutes cooking time for turkey with stuffing.
7. Approximately 45 minutes prior to the end of cooking time remove foil from turkey. In this time you can apply smoke if smoking for the taste is desired! I like it smoked.
8. Cover and rest the turkey for 10 minutes prior to carving.
9. Carve, serve and enjoy.
10.(In well-designed wood fired oven you can hold this temperature for 5+ hours. This recipe works perfectly also for poultry in conventional ovens.)
------------
1 Five gallon bucket or cooler. I use the types of cooler for holding drink mixes, the type that is round like a pail with a spigot on the bottom edge to fill drinking cups. These are available here at the large discount store for about 20 dollars.
Place all the ingredients except the Iced water, in a large pot and bring to a boil. Remove form heat pour into the cooler and add the iced water. Stir to mix and add the poultry. Let the poultry sit at least eight hours in brine. Drain and cook. I use a cooler, as I do not have room in my refrigerator to safely store the poultry. Make sure the poultry stays cool to keep the salmonella bacteria away. With the turkey I cut out the wishbone before cooking to make slicing much easier later on. I promise this will be the moistest turkey you have ever had and the flavor is indescribable. Try it and let me know what you think.

Thanks and enjoy.

Welcome to DC, nucleus!! That turkey looks absolutely delicious!! Thanks for sharing the brine recipe!! Can you get a better picture of your oven there? { I guess that's what you would call it, or fire pit?} Did you build it?

Last edited:
Hey, nucleus! Welcome to the family! Your turkey looks absolutely perfect! Please copy/paste your recipe into the poultry forum as well - everyone needs to see it!

We're really glad you're here!

Hi, nucleus and welcome to DC! Wish I could have a taste of that turkey - looks yummy!

Thank you all

Thanks everyone for your kind welcoming words!

texasgirl, yes I built the oven, wood fired brick oven. Will post a picture in here tonight. Any particular picture on the oven or about traditional cooking using fire you would like?

Last edited:
Jon,
Welcome...I looked at your pictures. That is a beautiful birt and I loved the rainforrest picture with the larg fern. Where is Mt. Nebo?

nucleus said:
Thanks everyone for your kind welcoming words!

texasgirl, yes I built the oven, wood fired brick oven. Will post a picture in here tonight. Any particular picture on the oven or about traditional cooking using fire you would like?

I would just like to see a better picture and show dh. He loves cooking outside, but, I don't think he has ever cooked like that before. We've seen it done though. What kinds of things do you cook in it? Probably just about everything.

wow, I just looked at your hobby link. That is really cool!!

Wood-fired brick oven pictures.

Dove,
Mt. Nebo is in Brisbane city West (Qld. Australia) a bit higher like table lands with rain forest. It's very natural area with many quiet hidden picnic spots for cooking outdoors.

texasgirl,
2x wood oven pictures. Anything can be cooked in these, efficiently, good fun for friends too. I am more oven builder than a chef but will not disappoint to fill hungry stomachs. I like roasting, baking, drying fruits or tomatoes to keep in olive oil or for pizza toppings. I will post in some TNT RECs and pics next weekend.

nucleus
:chef:

Attachments

• MTo_copyright1.jpg
    MTo_copyright1.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 218
  • Swishy_copyright1.jpg
    Swishy_copyright1.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 218
Back
Top Bottom