Hi, I'm new here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefJune

Master Chef
I'm a food and wine consultant and educator from the New York Metro Area. I can almost see the Statue of Liberty from my windows!

I've been in the hospitality business for more than 20 years, and still am learning new things every day.

I'm looking forward to meeting new folks here, and exchanging ideas. :chef:

Aw! Can we switch places ChefJune? Welcome to DC! You'll love it here - meet kind and warm people and gain lots of great recipes.

Welcome to the site ChefJune! We are so happy that you and your friends have joined us.

SizzlininIN said:
Welcome ChefJune! Please jump right in. Do you have a favorite dish to prepare? Care to share?
Thanks for the great welcome, everyone. I know I'm going to like it here!

Sizzlin' here's my favorite recipe... Scallops are my most favorite food in the world.... and my favorite wine to pair with it. The recipe comes from my cookbook, "Feastivals Cooks at Home. http://www.feastivals.com/cookbook.asp

Scallops Tommy
Scallops are my favorite food, and this is my favorite way to prepare them. The recipe is courtesy of Chef Sulim Tomás—“Tommy”, when he was chef of the long-gone Half Shell restaurant in Boston. Be careful not to buy watery scallops. The water indicates that they¹ve been treated with chemicals to keep them fresh. These chemicals will make them taste like soap suds. Not the flavor you¹re looking for.
6 servings
1 ½ cups thinly sliced white onions
½ cup fish broth or ¼ cup each water and dry white vermouth 2 pounds scallops ­ Nantucket scallops preferred (if you use the larger sea scallops, slice them in two or three)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or marjoram (or 1 teaspoon dried)
sea salt and white pepper to taste
¼ cup Fino Sherry

1. Poach onions in broth until translucent and soft, but not mushy. Add scallops to the simmering liquid and turn it off. Let the scallops sit in the liquid with the onions until they are cooked. (It’s important not to overcook the scallops or they will become rubbery.
2. At the same time, melt the butter in a sauté pan. Sauté the mushrooms in the butter until they are brown.
3. Preheat the broiler. Place the scallops and onions in a shallow ovenproof dish. Top with the mushrooms, fresh herbs, and salt and white pepper to taste. Sprinkle the sherry over. Broil close to the heat source for about 2 or 3 minutes, until browned and bubbly.

Teacher’sTip: 1.Serve over a pilau of brown and wild rice or saffron fettuccine.
Wine Tip: My favorite wine with this dish is Les Fourchaumes, a Premier Cru Chablis from Domaine Laroche.

Ohhhhhhhhh I love scallops. DH doesn't care for them but I can try this out when I make another seafood dish. One thing that doesn't appeal to me though is the title.............Ex's name was Tommy so i think I'll have to change that one :LOL:

*waving at June*

Glad you finally made it. We've been looking for you!

Hiya June, Marlene (DaCook), Jan (Half Baked) and Jen :chef:
Nice to see all my friends here. Just got back from a business trip so I have to catch up on paperwork. will be a bit more active in a couple of days. What a great welcome we have had here. Is Clive on board?

Romany123 said:
Is Clive on board?
Well, being the queen of hospitality, I do believe I formally welcomed Clive within this week. It's so nice to have all of you here!!!

ChefJune - New York! Ahhh! Being out here on the west edge, I've never had a chance to visit, but the thought of being in such an amazing place....! You must love being there!!

Thank you Kath
It is good that Clive is on board. He is (as are all the rest of my friends here) a culinary artist. Ok Ok I know that is the name of a book :) , but The wealth of knowledge these guy,s have is is truly staggering. over the years that I have known them all they unstintingly pulled me up by my bootstraps and show me the way to successful cooking.
I am sure they will be an asset to your site.
Now I must get back to my paperwork :pig:

welcome june.

i'm guessing you're in lower manhattan or joisey city? or maybe "is that an island" (staten island)?

i'll bet most people don't know the tablets lady liberty holds has today's specials scribbled on them, huh?

and welcome to all of the the newbies that have recently joined. are you exiles from other foodie sites?

Back
Top Bottom