Hi, I'm Ron from Van Nuys, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron Hay

Assistant Cook
Hello, friends,

I live in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles and love to cook, especially foods from Eastern and Southeastern Europe, the Caucasus, Middle East and North Africa.

My wife, Vivian, and I have a small vegetable garden, and are currently growing tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, green beans, tomatillos, chard and a variety of herbs, including sorrel, basil, thyme, rosemary, za'atar and parsley.

We also grow Owari satsuma mandarins, cinnamon, navel oranges, blood oranges, pomegranates, Bearss limes, apricots, Fuyu persimmons and macadamias (from which the *** squirrels stole about 40 lbs of nuts last week!).

Some of you may know me from gastronomique@yahoogroups, as well.

I look forward to posting and learning lots in and from this group.

Ron

Hello Ron!
Your garden sounds wonderful!!! Blood oranges, fuyus and macadamias at one house? Wow!!! Must be beautiful!

So glad you joined us.
I'm your semi-neighbor, over near Raging Waters :)

Welcome to DC, Ron!! You'll love it here!!

8.gif

Do you and your wife care if I pitch a tent near your garden? I just want to look at it and I won't take near as many nuts as those squirrels (my husband planted over 300 crocus bulbs and 100 tulip bulbs and they dug every one of them up within 3 days - there were husks everywhere) :mad:

Welcome to DC

Cinnamon

callie said:
Welcome, Ron! I've never known anyone who grew cinnamon :ohmy:

Hello, there. I have never known anyone, either, who grew cinnamon. This is not the Sri Lankan variety, but the Southern Chinese/Burmese variety, commonly called cassia.

The tree's botanical name is cassia cinnamomum. We bought it from a rare fruit nursery in Chula Vista, which advertised it as a good container plant.

Well, it loved our patio and proceeded to grow and grow.....

We thought, HMMMMMMMMM, since it won't grow large, we can put it in between the mandarin orange and the navel orange.

Well, I mean to tell ya, that "container plant" is now over 20 feet tall and growing like a weed.

This week, we will prune it, to shape it a bit (no garden books ever address its growth habit, not surprisingly). When we do, we will allow the larger branches to dry out and then attempt to strip the cinnamon bark off them.

I will be sure to let you all know how that little exercise turns out.

Ron:chef:

Ron,
knowing how well your cassia does in this area makes me think I may need to head over to Armstrong's Nursery and see if they ever get any. Either that, or it's a road trip to Chula Vista!

Source for Cassia

Hi, there,

I fear you will not find any cassia at Armstrong's, but you will likely find it at Pacific Tree Farms in Chula Vista, or at Exotica, which is also located in the south bay area...perhaps in the Leucadia/Carlsbad area. At any rate, last time I knew, PTF had a bunch of cassia.

Ron

Of course you may:)

Thanks for your kind note:)

One can really smell the cinnamon when cleaning up the dead leaves under the tree. Marvelous scent!

A fellow on rarefruit@yahoogroups.com has a large tree in Florida, and revels in the scent when he mows his lawn and mulches the dead leaves.

Ron, who must prune the cassia tree tomorrow.:glare:

ron, is there any way you could post a photo of that cassia tree? I'm intrigued...(can you post the smell, too??:LOL: )

hey ron hay, ron, hey, ron, hay, ron, hey, ron, hay, ron... aww, the heck with it. welcome. (sorry, couldn't resist. a greeting to you is somewhat perpetual...)

Cassia tree photo

Hello, friends, give me a coupla weeks to clean up that area so as to not make it look like the jungle it has become:(

The tree needs to be pruned, and the mandarin needs to be pulled back from the walkway.

The rains this winter were so insistant and continual that the garden really got out of hands; and when the rains finally abated, we were off to visit friends in Europe for a couple of weeks, and then things really began to grow.

We've been playing "catch-up" ever since! In about 2-3 weesk the back yard should be "salonfaehig," as my German friends would say (my mother would have said, "presentable.")

So, hold on, and your wish will be granted.

Ron:chef:

Back
Top Bottom